Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marshall Silver Jubilee reissue JCM25/50 - Quiet Lead Channel

Hello

I have on my bench a Marshall JCM25/50 Silver Jubilee reissue Model 2555.

The Lead Channel as chosen by the pull switch is almost completely silent.

Everything on the pc board looks ok, nothing burnt or detached. I tried replacing the preamp tubes one-by-one with a known good tube, with no change.

Thoughts? Here’s the schematic:

https://schematichell.com/marshall/2...5_50w_2550.pdf

thanks

earache

Do you have a scope? If so, follow the signal path and see where it goes low. If not, you can do the same with a DVM set to ACV.
    "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Try tapping on the relay and see if it makes any difference. You could also jumper across the appropriate pins to test (short LED3 anode to D2 cathode).
      Originally posted by Enzo
      I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

This one has a number of challenges it seems, although it could be me…

I can’t find certain components per this circuit board schematic (see my initial post).

For instance, g1 suggested I “short LED3 anode to D2 cathode”.

I can’t locate LED3 anywhere, though there are LEDs 1 and 2 evident. I also was looking for components that seem to be related to the relay “RL1” and I was unable to locate R30 and C23

While doing some fact finding I took a generic TRS foot switch and tried to operate the boost function with that. All it did was make both channels quiet.

I can hear the relay RL1 clicking when I operate the pull switch on pot VR3

Could it be that this amp is a PCB reissue of an earlier model named “Model 2555” and so has different reference designations for the components? Or some entirely different circuit components/names?

Another question - would an LED used merely as a diode in a circuit, light up when in operation? Neither LED1 or LED2 light up at all when any of the channels or boost functions are in operation.

Comment

…….additionally, tapping on the relay made no difference in operation…and there is some challenges to trying to follow the signal path thru the amp because it has a PCB for the main board and many of the caps are box style, with no visible leads

Comment

Originally posted by earache View Post
            Could it be that this amp is a PCB reissue of an earlier model named “Model 2555” and so has different reference designations for the components? Or some entirely different circuit components/names?
            Yes, the component designations will likely be different.
            Post a request in the schematics section and specify re-issue. Maybe one of the miracle workers here will have it.
            Where LED's are used for clipping function, they may not light up under normal operation.

Originally posted by Enzo
            I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Problem solved. I found that the “Lead Master” pot had taken an impact from the front at some time in its life, enough to crack the phenolic wafer right above the legs.

I had a very similar pot in my stash and was able to replace the broken one. There was a great deal of difficulty in removing the old one, what with no-lead solder and terribly fragile pads on the circuit board. The plug in connectors that I had to wrestle with to take out the small board that the pots lived on were a bear to unclip. You would think they didn’t want anyone to ever service this thing.

The topper was that when I finally got the pot legs off the board, it lifted a trace off the board which I had to replace with some buss wire! Fun times.

I answered my previous question about LEDs in circuit and if they ever light up. They do when you hit a note and they glow brighter the harder you play!

Thanks for your kind help everyone!

earache

Comment

Working...
              X