Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roland Fantom G7 Thinks It's A G6

Hey everyone!

I've got kind of a weird issue on this one. Fantom G7 came in making no sound and I traced it to a problem with the main board. Replaced the board with one from Syntaur and got the sound working! The only problem now is that the last 15 keys of the keybed don't work. This is on two different contact boards, so I'm not convinced that the dead keys are a mechanical problem.

I checked the system software and it is reading as a G6, which is weird. Maybe they use the same main board in all models? I downloaded the update file from Roland and then did a factory reset per the instructions. The keys are still dead.

Is this just a setting that I am missing?

Did you contact Syntaur? Maybe they sent you one with the wrong software. Or maybe they can tell you some setting.
    G6 is 61 key, G7 is 76, G8 is 88.
    Originally posted by Enzo
    I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Originally posted by g1 View Post
      Did you contact Syntaur? Maybe they sent you one with the wrong software. Or maybe they can tell you some setting.
      G6 is 61 key, G7 is 76, G8 is 88.
      Yes! I forgot to mention that I sent them an email! Hopefully Sam will get back to me with some help! The board I ordered was definitely under the G7 tree, so I'm hoping it's a simple fix.

Comment

Thankfully the team at Syntaur were able to get back to me with an answer! The main board for this one is used on the G6, G7, and G8 models of the keyboard, but the range of the key bed needs to be set in Test Mode. When I originally read this section of the service manual, I thought it was referring to which test was to be performed, but it actually sets the range of the key bed.

In order to change this you have to boot in to test mode by holding the [TEMPO] and [EFFECTS (ROUTING)] buttons when you turn on the keyboard. Then you can use the right arrow key to skip to test 25, labeled keyboard, once the unit has finished booting.

25. KEYBOARD

First, the Main Board’s unit model setting is specified. Because the
        hardware of the Main Board is the same for all the Fantom-G6, G7, G8
        models, this setting allows the Main Board to recognize the model in
        which it is being used.

After specifying this setting, the keyboard sound and velocity are tested.
        First the Main Board’s unit model setting is specified.

1. While holding down [SHIFT], press the following buttons to specify the
        unit model setting.
        [PAD TRIGGER]: Fantom-G6
        [SOLO SYNTH]: Fantom-G7
        [ASSINGABLE]: Fantom G8

2. Verify that the unit model name indicated in the LCD is the same as that
        written on the unit’s top panel logo.

3. Press the highest pitch key of the keyboard.
        4. Press the lowest pitch key of the keyboard.

This completes the Main Board’s unit model setting procedure.
        Next, check the keyboard sound and velocity.
        The keys produce the piano sound (damping sound) when pressed, and
        the key’s note number and velocity display in the LCD.

5. Verify that the all keys produce sound. Also verify that the volume varies
        according to force with which the key is pressed.

Hope this helps someone in the future. The keyboard is working great now!​

Comment

Nice "fix".

Comment

Working...
          X