Up should always be on!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Up should always be on!

Every once in a while I run across and amp where to turn the power on I have to flip the switch down (instead of up). That drives me crazy. I also think it is a little dangerous since I might be working on an energized circuit and not realize it.

I am currently working on a Marshall amp where it is this way (down is on). I have to stop and think if I turned the amp on (or off). Luckily it has a red power indicator LED.

Things get even more confusing when working on the chassis upside down (than it normally sits in the cabinet).

Sometimes I get so exasperated I removed the switch, turn it around and reinstall it.

All switches are down for on in the UK but we also drive on the 'wrong' side of the road

Comment

Just curious: Does that include light switches in your house?
      "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

I agree with the "up is on" convention. However, I think you are out of luck to get every company to conform. I believe that one of the factors in play is the use of a chassis that is designed to be mounted either in a combo cabinet or in a head cabinet with the chassis on the bottom. Marshall is a good example of that. I'd expect that they have one set of universal assembly instructions for the chassis with the main difference being the front and rear face plates.

On another note, it would be a good convention to have an independent procedure for ON/OFF while working on equipment. My personal procedure is to always run the amp under test from my AC line supply. I turn the AC line ON & OFF via the AC line supply front panel switch. That way I get a triple AC condition indication via the the AC line supply pilot lite, the voltmeter and the ammeter. Another advantage with this method is that when it's off, there is no AC present anywhere in the amp chassis.

Comment

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
          Good point. Most homes and apartments have "three way" switch circuits installed. I have a couple of "four way" circuits too.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Phillips View Post
            ..........My personal procedure is to always run the amp under test from my AC line supply. I turn the AC line ON & OFF via the AC line supply front panel switch. That way I get a triple AC condition indication via the the AC line supply pilot lite, the voltmeter and the ammeter. Another advantage with this method is that when it's off, there is no AC present anywhere in the amp chassis.
            That's pretty much how I roll, too. I always use a variac/iso and use it to apply or remove power. That way, as you said, "when it's off, there is no AC present anywhere in the amp chassis."

"I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
              Yes

Comment

If light switches in the UK are Down/On, then it would make sense that Marshall would build them that way.

When I have my hands inside a chasis I almost always have the amp off and unplugged. I usually do not take my chances with the power switch if I don't have too. That said, sometimes you have to check voltages and have the amp live.

Peavey amps also present an issue with their sideways ON-OFF-ON configuration. I have also worked on amps where the standby and power switch are the the same [Standby (down) Off (middle) On (up)].

Comment

Also, our shoes have the heels at the front in the UK. Things are different here, but we're used to it.

Comment

My wife gets annoyed with me as I go around the house and make sure all the light switches are in the down position when the light is off.

Comment

Originally posted by Delta362 View Post
                      My wife gets annoyed with me as I go around the house and make sure all the light switches are in the down position when the light is off.
                      That's how they're supposed to be!
                      --Jim

He's like a new set of strings... he just needs to be stretched a bit.

Comment

I like "up is on" too.

Comment

Our old house had some light switches that were sideways. And some of the old 2 push button ones.

Click image for larger version  Name:	sw1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	42.1 KB ID:	977402

Click image for larger version

Name:	sw2.png
Views:	97
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	977403
                          Last edited by g1; 02-04-2023, 05:25 PM.
                          Originally posted by Enzo
                          I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Originally posted by g1 View Post
                            Our old house had some light switches that were sideways. And some of the old 2 push button ones.

Click image for larger version Name:	sw1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	42.1 KB ID:	977402

Click image for larger version

Name:	sw2.png
Views:	97
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	977403
                            Well, whatcha expect? You're in Canadia, isnt everything sideways up there?

Comment

Working...
                            X