Dead Midas M32 Mixing Console

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dead Midas M32 Mixing Console

I took a Midas M32 digital mixer in for repair. the complaint was that it was dead. The first time I turned it on it booted up and ran. Next time I tried it it didn't boot up. I had read from some forums that the power supply capacitors tend to go bad on the power supplies. I replaced the electrolytics in the power supply and when I turned it back on it worked fine. I let it run on my workbench for a while and when I went back to check on it it was dead again. I powered it down and powered it back up but this time I got a bootstrap error on the display. Ever since then it wont boot up. The lights on the control light up but that's it. I checked the voltages from a schematic I found and the voltages are all there.
    Anyone have any experience with these? This is a Music Tribe product.

The Midas M32 is an "upgraded" version of the Behringer X32 and most boards will be the same. Preamps, faders, and a few other things will be different. This X32 schematic should work for troubleshooting purposes.

https://www.synthxl.com/wp-content/u...ice-manual.pdf

The most common problems that would cause your issue are filter caps and ribbon cable connections. Which caps did you change? Are you sure you observed correct polarity when replacing? Most commonly, the caps near large heat sinks go first and are often bulged and visibly bad. Also pull and reseat all relevant ribbon cables. For testing, make sure to boot without a USB stick installed. Corrupt data on a USB stick can cause boot issues. Since you suspect that you had a power supply problem, I would also do a factory reset as soon as you can get past bootup and the unit is stable. An intermittent or lagging power supply can cause data to become corrupt.
    "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Thanks for the schematic, I found a Midas M32R schematic which is the shorter console with fewer faders. I checked the voltages out of the power supply and they seem correct. None of the capacitors I replaced looked bad or bulging. Board won't boot up and information out there is pretty scarce.
      Here is the Midas M32R service manual, which is the smaller version of what I'm working on.
      Attached Files

Comment

If you are sure capacitors are all oriented correctly, then check all ribbon cables and make sure they are seated properly. Sometimes, when you open up a unit, cables can get pulled out slightly. Also, it's best to scope the supplies. Since this is a digital console, It's not only important that supplies exist, but also that they are clean.
        "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

I was careful of the cap orientation and I checked the ribbon cables as you suggested. I haven't looked at the power supply output with a scope yet, I'll try that next
          Thanks

Comment

When i originally picked it up, it was in a cold space and it booted up normally, so I decided to put the unit in an unheated space. After a few hours I booted it up and it came up with the attached file. Got any ideas
            Attached Files

Comment

Working...
            X