Score! - Vintage Tube HiFi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Score! - Vintage Tube HiFi

My very sweet wife scored me a vintage Tube HiFi this weekend - a Bell AM/FM receiver + Garard Model 210 turntable in a nice cabinet loaded with a pair of sets of Jensen 3-way speakers.

Outputs are 2 pairs of RCA 6V6GTs and the OTs look to be more in Princeton territory than Deluxe. Photos follow once I cut the sizes down a bit.

Right now I'm evaluating this as a restoration project rather than an MI build. What look like date codes on the 6V6s says 60-48, so this thing is just a few months younger than me. I'm certain the big can caps will need to be replaced, but these Aerovox tubular ones - are they electrolytic, too? The brownish ooze - does that mean they need replacement?

Enzo, could you please point me to a source for styli for that record player?

Thanks everyone!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Don Moose; 10-05-2008, 12:39 AM.

Main components
    Attached Files

Comment

Cabinet
      Attached Files

Comment

Model number
        Attached Files

Comment

Top of chassis
          Attached Files

Comment

Gut shot - that shielded cable approach is pretty cute.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Don Moose; 10-05-2008, 12:42 AM.

Comment

Woofer. C12-RL - is that 12"?
              Attached Files

Comment

The rest of the speakers in that side. Those big gray things are caps, aren't they? They'll have to be replaced, too, I expect.
                Attached Files

Comment

Say, tboy - if you find this thread abusive of your bandwidth, please advise and remove.

In any case, thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Don Moose View Post
                    Say, tboy - if you find this thread abusive of your bandwidth, please advise and remove.
                    I'm digging it, Don (I have a bit of a soft spot for old consumer hifi gear).
                    -tb

"If you're the only person I irritate with my choice of words today I'll be surprised" Chuck H.

Comment

Don,
                      I'd guess you owe the wife big time! I know I would!
                      The crossover caps look like paper-in-oil types. They may be OK....as long as they're not leaking.
                      I think you can still source needles from needledoctor.com

Marc

Comment

Originally posted by Marc View Post
                        Don,
                        I'd guess you owe the wife big time! I know I would!
                        The crossover caps look like paper-in-oil types. They may be OK....as long as they're not leaking.
                        I think you can still source needles from needledoctor.com

Marc
                        Or try "Garage-A-Records, Inc." at www.garage-a-records.com

Comment

I appreciate her more every day. And I remember to tell her so.

Thanks for the links Marc & Mr Madden.

Oh - I got impatient and fired it up - no issues, sounds _great_.
                          Using it with a Firefly server on a linux box and a Roku SoundBridge.
                          Tubes and digital ... I keep coming back to that combination.

Comment

So the second time I turned it on, it started quietly going fut ....... fut ........ fut. Time to fiddle with the knobs and pay attention.

Comment

I also recently picked up an old tube Hi-Fi. It's a Pilot 6025SA from around 1960. It was non-working when I bought it for 20 bucks. The only problems were a smoked resistor in the PS, and an obviously gassy output tube. I had it running in a matter of minutes. I couldn't be more delighted with it. It sounds fabulous. I'd been wanting something like this for a while.

Good luck with yours Don.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X