X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sunn making a comeback?

Curious?

nosaj
    Sunn Amplification is back and it looks like we could see new amps this year. Could we see a return of the Coliseum?
    soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

Interesting that the chassis the PCB is housed in looks to be hot dip galvy. Ive never seen that on a guitar amp chassis. I wonder what the pros and cons are for this. I always wondered why I never saw amp chassis done that way because it's cheap and easy. I asumed the real nerds knew what they were doing so it must not be a good idea.
    Last edited by Chuck H; 06-17-2023, 01:20 AM.
    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Does anyone know if Sunn is still owned by Fender? The circuit board printing looks very familiar.
      "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
        Does anyone know if Sunn is still owned by Fender? The circuit board printing looks very familiar.
        I was wondering the same, but was too lazy to look into it

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?

Comment

In my defense, I did do a quick search and couldn't find a definitive answer,

Edit: I looked up the "whois" domain registration information for sunnamps.com and it lists the contact information as Fender Musical Instruments Corporation. So, there's the answer.
          Last edited by The Dude; 06-17-2023, 12:00 AM.

Comment

Looks like Fender still owns trademanrk.
            nosaj
            SUNN is a trademark of FENDER MUSICAL INSTRUMENTS CORPORATION. Filed in April 3 (1967), the SUNN covers AMPLIFIER SPEAKER UNITS, PARTICULARLY FOR MUSICAL INSTRUMENTS, PUBLIC ADDRESS AMPLIFIERS AND SPEAKERS, [ AND BATTERY OPERATED TRANSISTORIZED SOUND EFFECT DEVICES FOR ELECTRICAL GUITARS ]

Comment

The article says Fender 'retired' the brand in 2002. So I guess they've decided to bring it out of retirement (aka see if we can squeeze a few more bucks out of it ).
              Do the pics show if it is double-sided board? SMD semi-conductors?
              Originally posted by Enzo
              I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Here's a board pic from the link. I don't see any SMD, but it is a double sided board.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Sunn-Prototype-2023.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	109.7 KB
ID:	983634

Comment

Oh. I was expecting solid-state, but I see a 6AN8 socket there. Seems a little odd as I don't think that tube is in modern production?
                  Originally posted by Enzo
                  I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Originally posted by g1 View Post
                    Oh. I was expecting solid-state, but I see a 6AN8 socket there. Seems a little odd as I don't think that tube is in modern production?
                    Well Fender also owns Groove Tubes. They may have some clout with manufacturers.?. Perhaps there's a Rusky 6an8 in our future.

Comment

I suspect they will stick with vintage circuits as much as they can, but with modern build techniques. It will be interesting to see. The original 100S (model on circuit board) used the 6AN8 for the PI and preceding stage. I do agree it's odd using a tube that's no longer in production, though.

Original Schematic:
                      http://www.prowessamplifiers.com/sch...sunn/100S.html

Comment

maybe there's enough stock already out there for a production run. as time goes on it may be that odder tubes show up in newer amps.
                        nosaj

Comment

Lol, F&T caps, soon to be replaced with I.C. Company i worked for 20 years ago always used good quality filter caps and film coupling caps for prototypes/listening tests.

Comment

Working...
                          X