Mouser Resistors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mouser Resistors

If this is the wrong place for this let me know.

Wondering if anyone else is having issues with resistors from Mouser? I just got an order in and some of the resistors are a lot smaller than what they should be. This is not the first time this has happened. All were ordered as 1/2 watt and are listed on their site as such. 4 of the values, 220K, 470R, 470K and 330K all ordered as 1/2 watt. They do not come close to the dimensions listed on there page. They are supposed to be Diameter 3.3mm Length 9mm, what I got Diameter 2.36mm Length 5.969 mm.
    I have contacted them about it and waiting to hear. The last time this happened a few years ago, the resisters were actually smaller than these, closer to 1/4 watt. When I called they had one of their engineers get on the call he insisted that they were 1/2 watt. I did not not use them in the amp.

I know components do get smaller as time goes on but I wont use these.
    It's all about the bass. Lock in the groove and stay out of everyone else's way.

With modern materials, it is possible to make resistors that are physically smaller than those of the "old days" while still maintaining the wattage rating. Mouser usually includes a link to the manufacturer's data sheet. It would be good to check out the data sheet or the exact part number that you received to review the rating of the parts.

I do agree that it's weird to trust a smaller part. Since the first time it happened to me, I spend more time checking the part data before I order. If Mouser made an "equivalent" substitution for the exact part number that was listed when you selected the part then your complaint is justified even if the smaller part turns out to be rated at 1/2 watt. The surface of the smaller part will reach a higher temperature when dissipating the same wattage as a larger part because each part is dissipating the same amount of thermal energy over a different surface area. That may or may not cause a problem.

Companies that manufacture high end equipment go so far as to generate a Source Control Drawing (SCD) for many of their parts. That way they can prevent changes in performance and physical characteristics. Sometimes the SCD also includes special test screening on a sample of the lot or even on every part. That all comes at a cost.

Comment

Tom Phillips

At first I did look up the data on the mouser page for the resistors but not the manufacturer page. The size listed on that page 9 mm long 3.3 mm diameter is not what I received.
      Maybe the manufacturer is using some reverse engineered material from the UFO crash in Roswell.
      I look at this way, if their data page lists them as a different size than what I recived, I did not get what I ordered.

I just checked and opened the manufacturer PDF file listed and the resistor is listed with the same dimensions. 9 mm long 3.3 mm diameter. Not the much smaller size I got.
      It's all about the bass. Lock in the groove and stay out of everyone else's way.

Comment

Originally posted by J Luth View Post
        ...The size listed on that page 9 mm long 3.3 mm diameter is not what I received.
        ...if their data page lists them as a different size than what I recived, I did not get what I ordered. I just checked and opened the manufacturer PDF file listed and the resistor is listed with the same dimensions. 9 mm long 3.3 mm diameter. Not the much smaller size I got.
        Given that information, I agree that you did not receive the parts you ordered. Mouser made an un-authorized/unintentional substitution.

Comment

I agree that you didn't get what you ordered. I'm curious, though. Is there a part number on the package you got? If so, does it match the part number you ordered? What I'm wondering is if it was a substitution and the resistors you received are half watt even though smaller. Or, did someone pull the wrong parts and the resistors you received were not 1/2W. I would look up the datasheet for the actual parts you received.
          "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Tom Phillips, Waiting see what they say

The Dude, All of the packages have the part number listed that I ordered.

I attached a picture to show the difference. Granted, this time it wasn't as bad as the last time. The last time they were even smaller and Mouser did nothing about it.
            I think I will push back a bit harder this time. It's not money, only a few dollars just want to get it figured out and corrected.

The resistors shown are from the current order. Even the top resistor shown is a bit smaller that what I am used to getting. It was listed correctly on the package including the watt rating.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by J Luth; 07-07-2023, 02:25 AM.

Comment

As has been said, there are 1/2W resistors that are smaller and look more like 1/4W resistors. If that is the case, it's not such a problem. The problem is that, since the parts do not match specs quoted in the datasheets, you have to wonder what you actually have there. Are they indeed smaller 1/2W resistors, or did someone misfile 1/4W resistors?
              "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

carbon film vs metal film?
                nosaj
                soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

Comment

Another thing that comes into play with size is voltage rating. The larger part is usually rated higher for voltage. Also lead diameter may be thinner, and total length becomes important if you have to stretch across eyelet board or PTP.
                  Bottom line is as you say, package should be as stated in datasheet. Likely some bin has incorrect parts in it.
                  Originally posted by Enzo
                  I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Were the part numbers for what you received any different from what you ordered? What part numbers did you order anyway?

Comment

Originally posted by Pixel View Post
                      Were the part numbers for what you received any different from what you ordered? What part numbers did you order anyway?
                      Addressed the part number issue in post #6.
                      I didn't list what the part numbers I ordered were.

Comment

I might be done with using Mouser. It's a long story I'll give a short version well as short as I can. I sent a message to them about the problem, their reply said I was looking at the wrong part number. I sent my reply showing, logging in to my account and going from my order history directly to one of the parts in question, it shows the dimensions I expected to get. I also did a direct search and got the same information. They claim I am looking the wrong number, well the number is on my account order. Well no matter what I do it keeps coming up that I am correct. I also asked in that email if they would please show me where I made the mistake so that I could correct it for further orders. I also asked a couple of questions related to this. The next reply was our engineer replied in the previous message that I was using the wrong number. Nothing else.
                        I sent one more message asking them to please tell me why if I go directly from the part number on my order history to the part page, it shows the correct dimensions. I also copied and pasted the specifications into the email and attached the manufacturer data sheet. Also the part number on my history is the number that they are saying is the wrong one. Well there is no information when using that number that shows I am wrong it only shows that I am correct.
                        Maybe I am just being a bit persnickety but I don't like generic answers to questions with out any further information and or ignoring my other questions.
                        Basically I am getting from them your wrong use this one, which is the same as the one I ordered.
                        This could be longer but no need to get that deep. Besides it's 1:45 AM I am getting a bit wobbly and I have to get up at 8:00 AM and that ain't that easy at my old age.

Comment

Sometimes a phone call can clear up things fast.
                          nosaj
                          soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by nosaj View Post
                            Sometimes a phone call can clear up things fast.
                            nosaj
                            nosaj

I did that the first time this happened a while ago and got nowhere. On a phone cal I would not be able to give them the links to their pages that show I am not using the wrong number. It's obvious that they are not reading my replies as they just reply with the same exact message as the first one. Ignoring the data I sent and the questions i asked. I sent the links to the pages, copied and pasted the specs from their page and included the manufacturer's PDF data sheet. And those were the ones fro the part number they say is wrong.
                            I have not been rude, demanding or nasty in any of the emails. But all I get it is we all ready answered you in a previous email.

AH NO YOU DIDN'T!

Comment

Working...
                            X