Led Bulb Repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Led Bulb Repair

I ran across this video on Youtube, and thought it looked like something I could do.
    Check it out!

"If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

I took one of those apart, all the LEDs were good. The nine (IIRC) LEDs were all in series and took about 50V. They were bright as Hell !
    WARNING! Musical Instrument amplifiers contain lethal voltages and can retain them even when unplugged. Refer service to qualified personnel.
    REMEMBER: Everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school !

Comment

The one I tried to open was welded or bonded along the joint and wouldn't come apart.

Comment

I have kitchen LED lights underneath the cabinets. Years ago they would occasionally stop working. It was always the first or last LED that would open in the series string. I changed that and was good for a while. I eventually replaced a resistor with a slightly higher value and no problems since. Slightly dimmer but run cooler.

Comment

The video fix would work I guess, not sure for how long. The bulb will warm up and the little tape patch & foil will fall off. And I think the other LED's will be getting more voltage than they should.

Whoever put it up ('creative hacker') is a jerk. The title is fake, and they have it up with a bunch of different colour tape wrappings/titles. And one with exact same video titled 'wrap the LED bulb with copper wire'. None of these videos have anything to do with wrapping the bulb with tape or copper wire.
          I would guess all their other vids are click-bait titles as well.

Originally posted by Enzo
          I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

how about this one?
            Might get you by in a tight.
            I wouldn't over analyze it just another gimmick to play with.

"If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
            Terry

Comment

Originally posted by loudthud View Post
              I took one of those apart, all the LEDs were good. The nine (IIRC) LEDs were all in series and took about 50V. They were bright as Hell !
              Well, if all were lit and the bulb works, obviously it does not need to be repaired!!!!
              Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
                I ran across this video on Youtube, and thought it looked like something I could do.
                Check it out!

Terrible clickbait video, he actually does NOT wrap the base in tape as shown in front picture!!!!!

The hack is terrible too, and will last 5 minutes before that tape falls out.

Yes, all Leds are in series (some mullti-led ones with,say, 20 ones may have 2 strings in series), fail mode is opening whichb turns all others off.

tīs also a terrible way to remove the bad one (knife can slip and cut his finger), proper is crushing it off with long nose pliers or cutting snippers, so as to expose pads where itīs soldered.

Then you short across them, not with cheesy wire hairs held with tape (that guy is an animal working) but by soldering across pads with a drop of solder.

I do it all the time, repaired bulbs last 1 or 2 months until another Led dies.

A proper repair would be to replace dead Led , shorting pads is no more than a cheap hack.
                Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Originally posted by Mick Bailey View Post
                  The one I tried to open was welded or bonded along the joint and wouldn't come apart.
                  Yes, they are glued together, you have to snap glue off for opening.
                  Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Working...
                  X