No announcement yet.

Conductive paint question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It blocks noise from electric fields (caused by noise voltage).
    Flourescent lamps and dimmers mailnly radiate electric noise.

Transformers radiate magnetic fields.
    - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Out of interest, I did some test strips with the different cold-galvanizing paints that I have and none of them are conductive in the slightest when checked with my DMM.

Comment

Just an additionnal info.
        I remember that the interior of the early Apple II and Macs plastic case were coated with a brown or black shielding paint.
        It was to prevent interference emission from the microprocessor wich was operating in the MHZ range.
        So conductive carbon base paint must be usefull for RF shielding.
        But i thing that copper tape or "shim stock" should be better electrically wise and still be affordable for such small application.

Comment

Coffee finished, brain back on line...

Considering an RF transceivers, in the same case they fit oscillators, converters and powerfull transmitters right beside ultra-sensitive amplifiers and receivers.
          Absolute worst case for interferences and they solve that by enclosing the radiating and sensitive component in zinc cast and sheet metal subboxes.
          The covers and seems are covered with cupper tape so there is full continuity.
          This should be the Gold Standard up to the microwaves.
          With all the Wifi, Bluetooth and cellphones around, it's not luxury i figure.

Comment

I once observed a coating on the inside surface of an internet router's plastic case. The coating was very thin and smooth. It did not look like it was painted on but rather done by evaporative deposition in a vacuum chamber. The total surface area was about 30 square inches. The resistance was less than 1 Ohm from any point on the surface to any other point. Unfortunately, the process is not practical for a do it yourself operation but I found it interesting.

This is just one of the things I find since I take apart a lot of equipment after it has reached the end of it's service life. Sometimes I salvage useful parts. In any case I usually learn something. When done, a big proportion of the parts are recyclable with only a small fraction needing to go to electronics recycling.

Comment

Working...
            X