Stagepass 300 troubleshooting (Yamha)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stagepass 300 troubleshooting (Yamha)

I'm a bit puzzled by the 'troubleshooting' flow chart on pg.27 and 28. Maybe I'm misunderstanding but it seems they are saying if any of the first 3 conditions are true (blown fuse, missing +VB or missing -VB), you are supposed to skip to the end and replace the entire power board?
    (pwr. supply schem is pg.50)
    Attached Files
    Originally posted by Enzo
    I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

That's the way I read it, but it doesn't mean you can't try to repair the power board. I think some of these repair manuals are written primarily for service centers, and the company would rather you just replace the board than pay the extra labor to repair it.
    "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

When I was removing the board a chunk of IC802 fell out. I hadn't noticed that it had it's face blown off. It is the switching controller for T1.

I am missing +VB, yet I have -VB, +15V and +5V supplies that all run off same transformer, how can this be if IC802 is broken? (-15V supply is only giving -11V)
      The unit is functional except for the power amps.
      I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

There is also IC804. It looks like +VB is derived from IC802 & T1 and -VB from IC804 & T2. It also looks like +&-15V are derived from parallel windings (through rectifiers) of both transformers. So, unless both supplies are down, you'd probably have something close on the 15V supplies.
        Last edited by The Dude; 10-19-2023, 03:20 AM.

Comment

The diodes and tx winding for the +VB check out ok so I guess I will gamble that there was nothing causing IC802 to blow and try replacing it.

Comment

I would also check +VB to ground and to -VB to make sure the output section of the amp doesn't have a short before you fire it up.

Comment

Unfortunately they are non-repairable small modules. I can check what you mentioned but they could still both end up being bad so kind of tough to give an estimate for repair.

Comment

Well, IMO, it's worth a shot. Get a spare, they're cheap.

https://www.digikey.com/en/products/...iAAEgLeEPD_BwE

Comment

If IC802 is missing, relay RY801 will not operate. This means that the mains supply is limited by the TH802 thermistor.
                  Everything in this SMPS can be repaired. I don't see any problems at all.​

Comment

Forgot to close this one out. Replaced the TOP249 (IC802) and that did it. Unit has not come back.
                    However, in the mean time I remember reading that nearby cap being weak will cause the chip to blow like that. I think in this circuit that would be either C834 or C841.

Comment

Originally posted by g1 View Post
                      Unit has not come back.
                      The device doesn't work?

Comment

Originally posted by x-pro View Post
                        The device doesn't work?
                        No, I meant it has not come back for repair again. It worked, and as far as I know, it is still working.

Comment

Working...
                        X