Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Problem with Voices of Music Writing Desk Stereo Turntable/Tonearm...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with Voices of Music Writing Desk Stereo Turntable/Tonearm...

Hi all,

I'm seeking help in diagnosing a problem with my VM stereo turntable. After reject or end of record, the tonearm returns to the rest position, but never lowers. The turntable keeps spinning with a click sound and the tonearm is movable, but cant lower and there is resistance indicating it probably shouldn't be moved at all.

How can I figure out what is going on, how to fix, or how to find someone who can.

I'm located in the Lehigh Valley of PA.

Any info appreciated!!

Lots of pictures and video of the mechanism would help. There are probably belts and pulleys that could use cleaning and maybe replacement. You have to watch what the mechanism is doing and will see something slipping at the critical point.

Comment

This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This is a "mechanical" issue not related to electronics (which is what this forum does). But we have a lot of clever and interested members that may step to this given sufficient information. The odds that someone here or anywhere is FAMILIAR with your circumstance with that particular turntable are extremely remote. This will almost certainly need to be handled as a unique mechanical problem. JM2C
      "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
      You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Exact model number would be helpful. There may be a service manual available somewhere.
        Originally posted by Enzo
        I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Not sure if our Superfreak3 is going to follow up but I ran across a place for V-M record player enthusiasts and they actually have some parts for these old units. In case it might ultimately help.

https://www.thevoiceofmusic.com/cata...hono_parts.asp

EDIT: Looking into it, it appears that Superfreak3 checked in only an hour after posting and never returned... Alas.
          Last edited by Chuck H; 11-20-2023, 11:43 AM.

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
            Not sure if our Superfreak3 is going to follow up but....
            Probably unlikely he will check in. Especially since the "You have a reply" forum feature is not working. However, I had the attached turntable service article in my files so I'm posting it. It has a lot of general turntable & record changer service tips from 50 years ago when repair shops commonly did that kind of service. It may be useful for others since this post came up when I used the MEF search for "Turntable."
            Record Changer Workshop Parts 1-4.pdf

Comment

Hardened grease problem.

Comment

Originally posted by mozz View Post
                Hardened grease problem.
                I get that all the time. Sometimes on turntables too.

Comment

Working...
                X