Steinberg UR44 Audio Interface No Power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steinberg UR44 Audio Interface No Power

I have a Steinberg UR44 audio interface that I had in storage for a few years, and now that I want to use it doesn't power on. I want to take this opportunity to learn electronics repair so I am trying to repair it for learning experience.

I am looking for guidance on how to proceed with troubleshooting the problem.

I have checked the original power supply with a multi meter and it works.

I visually inspected the PCB board and don't see any issues, except what looks like a possible broken fuse but not sure. I checked it for continuity it reads 97 ohms, but 3 components that light up for a split second when I press the power button on the audio interface when I inspect the PCB board with a thermal camera.

This pictures shows where the power jack is(blue circle), which is right next to the power button, and the barely visible green square shows the area where the 3 components are heating up/lighting up for a split second when inspected with the thermal camera.

I am new to electronics repair, how should I proceed from here in troubleshooting the problem?

Thanks for the help.​

Do you have a schematic you could upload or link? A fuse should measure 0 ohms. If the part you describe is indeed a fuse, it should not measure 97 oms. Is your meter zero'd? What is the circuit board designation of the "fuse"? Possibly it's a resistor?
    "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
      Do you have a schematic you could upload or link? A fuse should measure 0 ohms. If the part you describe is indeed a fuse, it should not measure 97 oms. Is your meter zero'd? What is the circuit board designation of the "fuse"? Possibly it's a resistor?
      The schematic for this audio interface is not available publicly. I was wrong and I was informed the101 part is a 100 ohm resistor +/-5%.

Comment

I'd first check the power supply (DCV). Also check at the plug with the unit plugged in to make sure there's not a loading problem and that voltage stays up with the unit drawing current.
        "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Originally posted by Young_Silent_Made_IT View Post
          I am new to electronics repair, how should I proceed from here in troubleshooting the problem?
          You don't need to repair it. It's a "spaceship" not only for you, but for most of the gurus on this forum, even with a schematic. Especially if you don't know what components look like and how they work.
          Last edited by x-pro; 12-09-2023, 08:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Young_Silent_Made_IT View Post
            I have a Steinberg UR44 audio interface that I had in storage for a few years, and now that I want to use it doesn't power on. I want to take this opportunity to learn electronics repair so I am trying to repair it for learning experience.
            Let it rest for a few years or take it to a service center of this brand.
            You should start repairing equipment with simpler devices. For example, with a simple amplifier. Better yet, try to solder a 10-30 W audio amplifier with transistors. And make it work well.
            And then try your hand at repairing such things.​

Comment

I tried to fix a similar unit with similar problem. With no schematic and so much digital circuitry it really isn't serviceable unless there is a visibly blown part or a bad power switch or something. I'm not the most experienced tech around, but I don't think there are many who could fix these without specific knowledge.

Comment

Originally posted by glebert View Post
                I tried to fix a similar unit with similar problem. With no schematic and so much digital circuitry it really isn't serviceable unless there is a visibly blown part or a bad power switch or something. I'm not the most experienced tech around, but I don't think there are many who could fix these without specific knowledge.
                Datasheets on components can be extremely helpful by verifying power at proper terminals
                nosaj
                soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by nosaj View Post

Datasheets on components can be extremely helpful by verifying power at proper terminals
                  nosaj
                  But have to know how to use them and understand them.

Comment

Originally posted by nosaj View Post

nosaj
                    But if the voltages are wrong, what do you do then? The power generation and sequencing is not at all simple or straightforward on a device like this one. And if the voltages are right, then what do you do next? As I said, I don't claim to be the best tech in the world, but devices like these humbled me on what is realistically fixable by a small shop tech.

Comment

Originally posted by x-pro View Post

Let it rest for a few years or take it to a service center of this brand.
                      You should start repairing equipment with simpler devices. For example, with a simple amplifier. Better yet, try to solder a 10-30 W audio amplifier with transistors. And make it work well.
                      And then try your hand at repairing such things.​
                      Most likely I won't be able to repair it so I will probably end up using it to practice soldering/desoldering SMD components.

Comment

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
                        I'd first check the power supply (DCV). Also check at the plug with the unit plugged in to make sure there's not a loading problem and that voltage stays up with the unit drawing current.
                        I checked the power supply with a multimeter. Reads 12v, which is what the output should be. Also tested the power jack while the power supply was connected and it also reads 12V. I forgot to check it while pressing the powe button but I will check it soon.

Comment

Working...
                        X