Thermal switch questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thermal switch questions

Ok, not music related but you guys will know this. Coffee maker stopped working, opened it up and saw a white barrel shaped thermal switch connected to the heated water pipe and figured after checking it and finding it open even when turned on its could well be the problem. Bypassed it and the coffee maker them worked so it was. Question is, does T250 mean thats the temp it switches at? If so, them what amps should i get to be safe? I don't see anything on it to designate that.

You have not indicated what coffee maker.
    I plugged my plane Jane Mr. Coffee into a Kill-A-Watt meter, set it to brew & it shows a 7.5-amp draw (@120Vac).
    T 250 is the maximum temperature in degrees Celius.
    Attached Files

Comment

T250 sounds like a thermal fuse not a switch.

Comment

Yes,^^^^^^ that.
        "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Well, there are 2 fuses that i think are thermal but this one that they are both connected to looks very close to this.... https://www.gensysparts.com/generac-...c-10000024110/
          In any case i think i will just leave it bypassed as i did and use it like that and turn it off as soon as the coffee is done brewing. That way it won't be on keeping it warm but i can just microwave the second cup. Works fine like this and when it's brewing i'm right there anyways in case it goes up in flames which i'm sure won't happen. To Jazz, It's a Gevi brand 4 cup model which i bought because of several features most don't have including a plastic that unlike others supposedly won't leech any bad chemicals or microplastics into the brew. That way i can live longer and spend more years pestering you guys with dumb questions.

Comment

Oh, I thought it might be this style thermal fuse, which you often find in coffee makers.

Click image for larger version

Name:	thermal-fuse-thermal-cuto_1070-0.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	5.8 KB
ID:	991724

Comment

here is a recent thermal switch I picked up to turn on a fan at 60C (0.2A tops)

Name:	IMG_6125.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	991726

as for coffee machines many lose the old bimetallic furnace type cutouts and use a cheap PID controller, many available at Auber Instruments
              https://www.auberins.com/index.php?m...=index&cPath=6
              Smoker controllers too
              https://www.auberins.com/index.php?m...index&cPath=14
              and nice low resistance DC/DC solid state relays
              https://www.auberins.com/index.php?m...roducts_id=674

Comment

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
                Oh, I thought it might be this style thermal fuse, which you often find in coffee makers.

Name:	thermal-fuse-thermal-cuto_1070-0.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	5.8 KB
ID:	991724
                There are 2 of thoe an one just blew this morning. I put the coffee on just a while ago and when i went to get some it again wasn't doing anything. So now i bypasses that fuse too and it starte worked. I suppose i will end up by passing the other one too when it blows. Don't know whether it's dangerous but i will just watch it till the coffee is dome and get ready to thow it in the sink if it starts burning

Comment

Originally posted by daz View Post

There are 2 of thoe an one just blew this morning. I put the coffee on just a while ago and when i went to get some it again wasn't doing anything. So now i bypasses that fuse too and it starte worked....
                  With multiple thermal fuses opening in the same coffee maker it seems to indicate that there is something wrong with the temperature controller in that coffee maker and that's what is causing it to overheat and blow the thermal fuses. I say that the risk of forgetting to turn it off after brewing is not worth putting off buying a replacement coffee maker. Small home coffee makers are very inexpensive these days.

Comment

You should replace the thermostat and fuse as soon as you can. The thermal fuses are tricky, they are welded in place because solder would melt before the fuse goes. I use a spot welder for battery packs to get it done.

Coffee makers are dangerous.

Comment

I bought a new one. I guess ya just have to buy a new one every year, as thats been the case almost always. I rarely have had one that.s lasted more than a year in the last few decades. Built in obsolescence i suppose. Like everything today, you get far less than you pay for. When i was a kid the things my mother bought lasted 1/2 a lifetime or more. I remember the wall clock she had since i was born and it died when i was in my mid 50s. A long gone friend of mine same thing, tho theirs is still going to this day whenever i visit his bother who now owns it. Today you're lucky if any electric/electronic device lasts 5 years, and we don't even manufacture most of it. What a cr@ppy society we've come to. Oh well....makes the soon to come dirt nap a lot easier to come to grips with.

Comment

Oh well....makes the soon to come dirt nap a lot easier to come to grips with.
                        I believe this to be an evolutionary trait, we become more conservative as we age, and our distaste for the way things have become makes it easier to accept our demise.
                        Originally posted by Enzo
                        I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Today you're lucky if any electric/electronic device lasts 5 years, and we don't even manufacture most of it. What a cr@ppy society we've come to.
                          I fixed my mom's old 70's toaster oven a few times by replacing the heating element for a couple bucks. Had to give up in the 90s because the parts were no longer available. Not long ago I asked about parts for my last toaster oven and the parts guy said he could look it up but the parts always cost more than a new toaster oven but they were forced to have a few in stock in order to get access to parts in the rest of the manufacturer's catalog.

Comment

I used to try to fix coffee makers and most always it was thermal fuses. I quickly learned that repairs didn't last and they would soon open again. I think it's likely from shorted heat elements. I don't bother anymore. You can get cheap coffee makers for 10-20 bucks. I just use 'em until they go and replace them. I drink lots of coffee, so I've got a pretty good stack of broken coffee makers waiting to be tossed. The one that lasted the longest was a Black and Decker. I got several years out of that one. Sadly, I can't find anyone that sells those in the area any longer, and when they break, I can't wait. It needs to be replaced immediately!

Comment

There are 2 of thoe an one just blew this morning. I put the coffee on just a while ago and when i went to get some it again wasn't doing anything. So now i bypasses that fuse too and it starte worked. I suppose i will end up by passing the other one too when it blows. Don't know whether it's dangerous but i will just watch it till the coffee is dome and get ready to thow it in the sink if it starts burning
                              My guess is that, when you bypassed the thermal switch (which is basically the temp control), the unit got too hot and blew the thermal fuse. The thermal switch acts as a temp control in the cheaper coffee makers. When the heater gets to a certain temp, the switch opens stopping current through the heater coil- allowing it to cool. Then when the heater cools, the switch closes and the coil starts heating again. The switch basically regulates temp. When you bypassed the switch, the heater was running constantly and got too hot for the thermal fuse.

Comment

Working...
                              X