Strain Relief Tool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strain Relief Tool

Well, for years I resisted spending the dough on a strain relief removal/installation tool, claiming to myself that I can do just as well with a pair of pliers or whatever. I finally broke down & purchased one about 6 months ago and absolutely love it! I makes quick business for getting the tougher ones off without marring up the chassis or adding extra stress to the whole process, esp when trying to install a new strain relief with a brand new cable where it requires a lot of pressure to compress the thing to be small enough to snap into the chasis.
    Only $16.00 on Amazon. I obviously recommend it!
    https://www.amazon.com/Philmore-Stra...skil+strain+re lief+cp-311&qid=1707409240&s=industrial&sprefix=proskil+strain+r elief+cp-311%2Cindustrial%2C206&sr=1-2

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	130
Size:	166.3 KB
ID:	993535

Looking for a Greenlee punch to make those holes, and a hole puncher for IEC sockets. Not the electrician versions.

Comment

Originally posted by Mars Amp Repair View Post
      ...when trying to install a new strain relief with a brand new cable where it requires a lot of pressure to compress the thing to be small enough to snap into the chassis...
      Great find at a reasonable price compared to other designs that can cost ten times as much.

One trick that I use when installing a new cord is to compress the strain relief on the cord with Vice-Grip pliers and then set it aside for a some time while I work on other things. That gives the cord a nice set that makes it much easier to install the strain release in the chassis hole.

Cheers,
      Tom

Comment

I got a set of those about a decade or so ago, think they were no more than $5 at the time. They work sooo much better than visegrips, always nice having the right tool for the job.

Originally posted by mozz View Post
        Looking for a Greenlee punch to make those holes, and a hole puncher for IEC sockets. Not the electrician versions.
        Here's a link to a punch for IEC with fuse tray. Haven't found one that's a perfect fit for IEC only, but I also haven't looked too hard. Here's a link to the matching hydraulic ram.

Comment

Anyone have a link to the Heyco size Greenlee punch for strain relief? I found the Heyco branded ones but they are $2k+ which seems ridiculous. I often find that I have to expand the hole when I am removing old 2 prong cords and installing thicker gauge 3 prong cables.

Comment

Originally posted by GoldtoneWorkshop View Post
            Anyone have a link to the Heyco size Greenlee punch for strain relief? I found the Heyco branded ones but they are $2k+ which seems ridiculous. I often find that I have to expand the hole when I am removing old 2 prong cords and installing thicker gauge 3 prong cables.
            If I'm understanding you correctly, there's always the step drill bits that work well for enlarging holes in chassis.

Comment

The punch I am looking for is more of the "Double D" shape which is more of a flattened circle. A full circle from a step bit leaves some gaps on either side of the plastic which I don't really like the look of.

Comment

Originally posted by GoldtoneWorkshop View Post
                The punch I am looking for is more of the "Double D" shape which is more of a flattened circle. A full circle from a step bit leaves some gaps on either side of the plastic which I don't really like the look of.
                these wont be cheap! https://www.heyco.com/Strain_Relief_...elief_Bushings

Comment

maybe too much! although Mouser brings these down to $2600

Click image for larger version  Name:	heckno.jpg Views:	0 Size:	43.3 KB ID:	993569

Comment

Originally posted by tedmich View Post
                    maybe too much! although Mouser brings these down to $2600
                    Yeah the price is astronomical, not sure how they come up with that price. I'm hoping to find a Greenlee one or similar for much cheaper.

Comment

https://www.greenlee.com/us/en/non-round-punch

Just google the part number for the one you want and you will find suppliers. The Greenlee is much cheaper than Heyco but still a lot of money.

Comment

this punch is sized for the Heyco round cable (18/3) strain reliefs and not too crazy expensive at $350

https://bromac.biz/panel-punch-product-catalog/bmp-8dd

suitable Heyco PNs
                        Click image for larger version  Name:	Heyco.jpg Views:	0 Size:	57.9 KB ID:	994129

Comment

2 things: ~ The heyco strain relief tool is one of the best investments I've ever made. Use it almost daily. My boss has had his for over 35 years. The stamped steel cheaper one is certainly better than slip joints or vice grips, which will chew up the plastic like it was a dogs toy.
                          The size adjustment on the heyco comes in very handy when you need torque adjustment. They really make cable installs so quick and easy.

2nd, for smaller diameter round cords, size 5N-4 will fit snug in a 1/2" round holes. Sometimes, adding a layer of heat shrink around cable where it sits inside the strain relief adds the right tension to set it in the chassis properly.
                          If I have a 50% chance of guessing the right answer, I guess wrong 80% of the time.

Comment

Working...
                          X