Ewwwww that smell!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ewwwww that smell!

I was gifted a Gibson Super Goldtone GA-30RV chasis. The amp suffered a catastrophic failure and components are burned. Boy, it must have been quite a firework show with a smoke machine!

The problem is the smell. I put the chasis in my trunk and it stunk up my car. I had to air it out for a while. I put the amp in my basement until it stunk up the workshop. So I washed it with simple green and water. I have to store it outside because is still reeks!

I am probably going to part it out (chassis, transformers, switches, light, tube sockets and such) and recycle the PCBs. How do I get the smell out of the other components?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5374.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	1.05 MB
ID:	995998

Amazing that the damage is spread out like that. Yep, salvage the jack, tube sockets, caps, big resistors, the items that are easy to extract and those you can probably use somewhere else, etc.
    It's not just an amp, it's an adventure!

Comment

I would gut that computer looking garbage and build something in its place. Sorry. I just hate those computer style ribbon cables. I would just be more concerned if I could get that thing running dependably. If I had to I would get a huge black trash bag and fill it with a scented baking soda. I would stick the chassis in with the board facing down on top of the baking soda. I would tie the bag up and let it sit for a few days. Then blow out any small amount of the baking soda. I’m not saying that I have done this before and only laugh if you too are not tempted.
      When the going gets weird... The weird turn pro!

Comment

There's nothing like an open air, sunny day with a little breeze to mitigate odor from this sort of thing. Unfortunately those sunny days are rare in Seattle and even when they forecast it you stand the chance of rain. But if you have the time and circumstances just let it air out wide open in the sun for a couple of days.
        "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
        You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

https://music-electronics-forum.com/...ication-method

Comment

Years ago we found this cleaner that you brush on that is OK for electronics. All I can say about it was that it smelled like Bubble gum and was actually pink in color.
            I think contacting one of those major incident Cleanup services might be able to hook you up with what they use.
            Years ago I had a customer call and ask if I knew a way to get the smell of burned popcorn out of their microwave.
            I suggested they burn something else that smelled better! Fortunately, they thought that was funny

Comment

Working...
            X