No announcement yet.

Magic $100 amp power cord?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well $h!t, the guy actually has me intrigued. I, personally, think all that fussing outside the audio range can't possibly make any difference anyone would hear except in the most offensive cases of horrible quality and cheap cables. Some of the discussion about resonances outside the audio band affecting those in the audio band seem dubious. But not out of the realm of possibility. After reading the interview I'd be willing to listen to a demontration and comparison with an open mind. Though I wouldn't expect to come away with a different perspective than I already have. And I'm not likely to ever be in a position to audition any of these products so it doesn't matter. And I'm not even phased by the loss of that opportunity (no pun intended).

EDIT: Just to be clear... There does seem to be some recognizable passion and drive/motivation in the interview. How much real world difference these efforts make has to be small. Perhaps inaudible.?. Unless you have unlimited funds it's certainly not worth the price. And...

Arranging the corrections as outlined in the interview there has to be at least some signal attenuation. Evidenced by the inference in the interview that speaker technology is a factor in product development. I don't expect it's a significant amount. But I wonder how the HiFi guys would react to signal padding as a means to achieve signal improvement since these two things are typically juxtapposed. Padding the signal in the speaker line changes speaker damping seen by the amplifier and the affect of any global feedback circuit intended to reduce distortions.
    Last edited by Chuck H; 03-22-2024, 12:53 PM.
    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

At this point, i think it's not a question of "CABLE", but more of filtering.

The grid cabling is already winning all the influence, we are talking about the last two feet before the power supply.
      As long as some trick may help in the cabling itself, like twisting and so, most of the potential benefits will come from more elaborate filtering device.

Ferrite, chokes are some but there are a lot more.
      Before putting a Grant on a cable, why not change the transformer of the target device for a Toroide or a U-type ?
      This will be less costly and way more effective than working on the cable in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by JP-Stereo View Post
        At this point, i think it's not a question of "CABLE", but more of filtering.

The grid cabling is already winning all the influence, we are talking about the last two feet before the power supply.
        As long as some trick may help in the cabling itself, like twisting and so, most of the potential benefits will come from more elaborate filtering device.

Ferrite, chokes are some but there are a lot more.
        Before putting a Grant on a cable, why not change the transformer of the target device for a Toroide or a U-type ?
        This will be less costly and way more effective than working on the cable in my opinion.
        Well I'm in over head when it comes to hifi design, but...

Considering the effort of global NFB the transformer has to be matched with the speaker. Since the pairing of amplifier and speaker can be nebulous I don't think corrections at the transformer could be any more ideal. Unless every audiopjool suddenly became an electronics engineer with unlimited choice in transformer design. Including footprint for replacements. As it is I don't think you could convince the average audiophool to replace the transformers in their $10K mono blocks The MIT solution proposes correction without the amp/speaker owners to have any actual knowledge and no modification to their prized equipment.

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?

Comment

Here's an easy way to upgrade anything! The fun starts when you click on one of the amazing products and read the description.

https://www.kempelektroniksshop.nl/audio-grade-fuses/

Originally posted by Enzo
          I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Dear God, are there really people who believe and buy those?
            "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

So! Awesome!
              --
              I build and repair guitar amps
              http://amps.monkeymatic.com

Comment

OMG. Just when I think I've seen it all, Kemp Elektroniks takes it to a new level of absurdity. If I buy their fuses and a few cables I won't be able to afford the electricity to run my audio system. Actually, my electricity has already been corrupted before it reached their € 6,359.50​, 1.5m long power cable because it was delivered via plane copper, steel and aluminum conductors and twisted wire connections exposed to the elements.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Phillips View Post
                  OMG. Just when I think I've seen it all, Kemp Elektroniks takes it to a new level of absurdity. If I buy their fuses and a few cables I won't be able to afford the electricity to run my audio system. Actually, my electricity has already been corrupted before it reached their € 6,359.50​, 1.5m long power cable because it was delivered via plane copper, steel and aluminum conductors and twisted wire connections exposed to the elements.
                  This is one of the things that I've touted repeatedly. For all the horror that it takes to get the power to your wall AC what damn difference do gold AC maind contacts make at that point!?! Really? Who's buying this and how is it even possible they were fooled. Any person is smarter than that so I can only attribute it to intentional blindness in pursuit of an imaginary ideal. Which makes it really sad on one hand and really nefarious on the other.

Comment

I've posted this here before, but I had a customer who absolutely swore he could tell the difference between pickup selector positions on a LP when the guitar was not plugged in and played acoustically.

The same guy used to buy this smoke and mirrors hifi stuff. He gave me a mains IEC cable with enchanted properties but the spell must have wore off because I could tell absolutely no difference between that and a Chinese computer cable. It even scoped exactly the same. I stuck it on Ebay and thought it would never sell, but it sold instantly to a guy in Vietnam who had to pay a pretty stiff postage charge from here in the UK.
                    Last edited by Mick Bailey; 04-12-2024, 07:27 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

It's telling that the folks selling this snake oil BS use overblown hyperbola to describe their product and ZERO electronic data.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Phillips View Post
                        Actually, my electricity has already been corrupted before it reached their 6,359.50 [Euro] 1.5m long power cable because it was delivered via plane copper, steel and aluminum conductors and twisted wire connections exposed to the elements.
                        Those hawking their super(expensive) AC cables never seem to mention this. Neither does hardly anybody else. THANK YOU!

With all those corrupting influences how are electrons supposed to maintain their orientation in the kosmic crystal lettuce? Must be terribly confusing for them. Tell us, oh mighty purveyors of snake oil!

This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	SRX XL Power Cable.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	997524
                          That's not a power cable.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Power Cable.jpg Views:	29 Size:	2.57 MB ID:	997482 This is a power cable!
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by Tom Phillips; 04-12-2024, 06:39 PM.

Comment

I had a group of cross-influenced customers why bought into Evidence Audio directional guitar cables "All cables are directional. Drawn copper elicits a grain structure with a chevron shape, clearly visible under a microscope. Each run of Evidence Audio cable is listened to and tested for directionality. Once directionality is established, a red boot is used on the output side of the cable. Between a guitar and amplifier, connect the red boot to the amplifier." And other claims.

After a short while they disappeared and I never saw them used again around here. I never bought into the directional thing - it seems absurd that you can hear the directionality of a cable, but that's just me. I don't believe in Santa or fairies, but there are plenty of people that do.

Comment

I don't think electrons can read "road signs".

Comment

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
                                I don't think electrons can read "road signs".
                                Agree. If the direction mattered how would we explain AC current flow?

Comment

Working...
                                X