HELP!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP!!

I recently built a solid state amp out of a lunchbox with the last supper on it. I made it two amps, actually, one for drum machine on one side, and the other for guitar. Both bridged lm386 designs. I've added a second input to the clean amp for bass and anything else I want to plug in. It has it's own volume (which I'm having slight problems with) and I'm going to give it it's own tone control when the parts come in. Also going to build the fetzer valve from runoffgroove.com and use it as a booster for the guitar side.If that's no good, I'll just use a clean FET boost. Also going to add a couple passive tone controls that I saw at beavisaudio.com in place of the tone on there now. There are three battery clips (one for the booster) inside for 9vs and two plugs for 9v adapters for the amps. The design was based on the noisy cricket from beavis audio, but I bridged it, and made the buffer more like the ruby from runoff. Also, switchable input caps, a boost switch, gain knob, volume, and a two position distorion mod, Sounds great, and I'm still tinkering with it.

So I got this passive bass cut that I put on my guitar from has-sound.com. I loved what it did, and thought I'd just stick it in my amp. I have it wired from the input jack straight to the bass cut, then out to the input of the buffer. But it doesn'ty work at all!!! I've tried connecting it different, I don't know what I'm doing wrong! It's it's connected passivly BEFORE the amp, it should work, right?!?! This is a 1 meg pot, with a film cap from lug three to 1 and then to 2. The cap value is marked 222 although there's another number 225 but I'm pretty sure the value is .0022 mfd. Wire from the tip goes to lug 3 then a wire from lug 2 goes to the input of the buffer. A wire comes soldered to the back of the pot, and goes to ground. I tried putting this ground in different places but it just didn't work. I even tried switching the wires form lugs 3 and 2. Nothin! I get signal, but turning the knob does nothing! The stupid bass cut works on my guitar but not here! AAH help me! I love this circuit, does anyone have any idea why this won't work??

Here's a pic from when I first bui9lt it. It looks different now, and will look different when done. Sounds cool.
    Attached Files

It sounds like a .002 cap parallel to a 1M pot that are both in series between the input jack and amp. The pot controls the percentage of signal going thru the cap. The pot turned all the way one way shorts across the cap, turned the other way is a cap parallel to a resistor, the bass cut. Is this correct? Try this, run signal thru just the cap, (if you can separate the cap from the pot), this should get the bass cut. This is just to see if it will work. why it works out of the box but not in I don't know, could be a bad solder joint or bad cap.

Comment

to see if the bass cut works? I know it works, I have it in my guitar right now. I've made one with a 1 meg pot and a film cap instead of the orange drop one and tested it on a breadboard. It seems that when I have the mpf102 buffer the thing doesn't work. But when I don't have the buffer it does it's job/. Something about the buffer is making it so it doesn't do anything! ARRGH!! Wiring it up after the buffer just makes the signal break up. It cuts bass, but the signal gets nasty. I already have different input caps after the buffer. On a switch I can switch between high bass and a lower bass, kinda vox-like sound. I wanted to have control in between though. It should work out of the box, I'm guessing they test them with meters bnefore sendning them out.

Comment

well heh it works. i put it behind the buffer now it does its job. next step, the booster or the valve caster. wonder how im gunna hook it up to this thing.

Comment

Dressin up jesus

Ok, man this thing rocks. I'm waiting on parts to put in a fetzer valve circuit. I got some 12au7 tubes and tried a little tube boost thing, but I get this nasty hum, and I dunno where'd I'd put the friggin tube since it would NEED to be on display with jesus. I had to rebuild the whole friggin thing after I put in an output to power a guitar cab instead of the small speaker. Now it's misbehaving a little bit

After I rebiult it, it seems to be a little gritty and kinda breaks up at first. This was a problem in the first build when I first turned it on, but cranking it and playing for a bit got rid of it. After that I could turn down the tone and gain and get nice cleans.Now it stays dirty. But when I turn on the onboard LPB-1 boost it's fine. I can get the cleans. The boost is powered by a seperate 9v battery. It's not true bypass, I just wiried both the ground and the tip of the input to go directly into either the amp or the booxt via dpdt. I also used the ground to wire the battery so it's an on switch too. This problem isn't so bad because I like the way the boost sounds better anyway, but there;s other strange things. Like when I'm plugged into the amp and it's off, and I turn on the amp I built in my guitar the tone and volume knobs act strange. Barely turn the knobs and the signal goes out. This doesn't happen when I'm plugged into anything else. What causes this?

Also when I play the amp through the guitar cab, I turn down the knobs on my guitar, like my bass cut or the volume and it starts to shreik horrible. I can only play at full blast through the cab. What's going on???
          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
          X