BOSS DR-55 - better mix balance?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BOSS DR-55 - better mix balance?

Hello folks. I've got a question about the BOSS DR-55 that I can't find any solutions for anywhere else.

The hi hats are very loud, as is the rim shot, so it would be good to give the bass drum and snare a boost by a few db, or bring the hats and rim shot down. I already had a poke around changing resistance values at certain points, but all I managed was to increase the loudness of the snare tone/thump, not the noise part too, and increase the "chirpiness" of the hi hat. Nothing useful.

I'd prefer to keep the machine as is, without adding any sockets or drilling. Would really just like to make the balance better internally.

Any ideas? Cheers!
    Attached Files

It sounds like an EQ thing. Sounds with more high frequency content are louder. I can tell you that these things sounded that way new, so it's probably not "broken'. Can you get what you need by just turning down the treble on the machine's mixer input? If you don't have tone controls on the device you're plugging the unit into, I might try a small value cap from output to ground to dump some high frequency. It won't change any levels and everything will sound a bit more dull, but it would tame some of the chirpy hat. It's simple enough to try and see if it gets you where you need to be.
    "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

I initially thought that using a voltage divider trim pot on the output of the RS and HH would be all that's needed, but there's some interaction between the different blocks and it isn't so simple. If you could get hold of a decent graphic EQ just to experiment with you may be able to get more control of the output.

EDIT: have you tried adjusting VR7?
      Last edited by Mick Bailey; 05-29-2024, 08:00 AM.

Comment

Working...
      X