Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Solder to jack or female connectors to input jack for guitar cab?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solder to jack or female connectors to input jack for guitar cab?

Just received a tube amp guitar cab to be loaded with 2 fender design speakers. I found the jack is not soldered but secured by 2 female jacks. Is this okay or should i go ahead and solder the terminals?
    Attached Files

It's the same as when they use those connectors at the speakers themselves. I don't see a problem with it.
    Originally posted by Enzo
    I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Ok it will remain as it is!

Comment

Sometimes people fit these insulated connectors by squeezing them with pliers and they can be a source of trouble. In this case a crimp tool has been used and they look to be fine. I would always test them by giving the cable a gentle pull/push while holding the connector to make sure they're crimped securely.

Comment

I guess if soldered it would look more pro!

Comment

Crimp connection, when done properly, are actually more reliable than soldered. Soldering stranded wires always results in some wicking of solder up the strands which adds a stress riser, where crimped connections have some strain relief.
            That said, a poorly crimped connection is worse than solder. Use the proper tools, not just pliers or vise-grips. Also make sure when using Faston style terminals like here, that the correct size is used for both the male and female parts. The connectors are sized for both width and thickness. Incorrect mating is as bad as incorrect crimping.
            They're also available with locking tabs on the female connectors that can be pressed for release if you want an extra level or security.

Comment

Personally I always solder, if at all possible.
              Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

I've had spade terminals fall off before. On a sump pump. Basement was flooding out, pump acted like a bad switch. Once apart I noticed the terminals fell off the switch, they are upside down. I guess it was from vibration. They got soldered on now.

Comment

I really dont think that the vibration of both 12 inch speakers will loosen the female terminals.

Comment

Working...
                  X