Useful tools

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Richard View Post
    When you use a good prybar you will wonder why you ever used a screwdriver.
    You mean when beating the snot out of the amp chassis you've been struggling with?
    If it still won't get loud enough, it's probably broken. - Steve Conner
    If the thing works, stop fixing it. - Enzo
    We need more chaos in music, in art... I'm here to make it. - Justin Thomas
    MANY things in human experience can be easily differentiated, yet *impossible* to express as a measurement. - Juan Fahey

Comment

• I have a good prybar, one of those flat deals that also can pull nails. It is useful because of its width, less likely to dent the wood. But a lot of times it is too big for a job. Like getting under the corner of a grille in a combo, or whatever. So a screwdriver gets drafted. I got free screwdriver sets from HF, so if I bend one, oh well.
      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

It's not useful for amp work, but a good prybar set is useful. If I mess up a screwdriver I feel like I've abused the tool and the Craftsman guy is gonna give me the look when I return it. If I bend a prybar I expect him to be intimidated. When you use a good prybar you will wonder why you ever used a screwdriver.
        I have prybars but they are too heavy to drag up to a rooftop in my 30 lb shoulder bag. The Xcelite 99 screwdriver set is great for many things but definitely for not prying open panels, etc. For that I'd carry up a Craftsman #41587 5/16" x 8" screwdriver which has never let me down. Heck, I use them inside tube amps to make sure that big filter caps stay discharged...

Sears.com

Another must-have tool in my 30 lb shoulder bag was 12" Knipex channel locks. Much lighter than regular channel locks and you could use it as a pipe wrench. Even worked as a lightweight hammer but I made sure not to damage my tools... those suckers are expensive!

Steve Ahola
        The Blue Guitar
        www.blueguitar.org
        Some recordings:
        https://soundcloud.com/sssteeve/sets...e-blue-guitar/

Comment

• Originally posted by Steve A. View Post
          Even worked as a lightweight hammer but I made sure not to damage my tools... those suckers are expensive!
          Did someone say lightweight hammer?
          I always carry one of these in my gigbag.

DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

• I never had to carry tools everywhere so I never gave weight much consideration, the Knipex stuff is super nice, though. I have their piano wire cutters, will cut up to 1/8".

Comment

• A lot of tools will cut piano wire, but not many will cut it a second time.
              Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

• Originally posted by rjb View Post
                Did someone say lightweight hammer?
                I always carry one of these in my gigbag.

Ah, the SM58. "I've" never managed to break one!!! Accidental drops, crushings and poor environmental conditions resulting in dents (large and small) scratches and oxidation and I've never had one NOT work, correctly!!! I can believe that someone, somewhere has actually used one as a hammer. Right before a gig. And then matter of factly plugged it in with NO apprehension.
                "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
                You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

• Originally posted by Enzo View Post
                  A lot of tools will cut piano wire, but not many will cut it a second time.
                  I've got some tiny dikes that I use for guitar strings so I can cut close and not get into the headstock, but if someone used them on bass strings it would be like using mom's sewing shears on paper.

Comment

• Oooohhh, did I ever get scolded for that one. Not nearly as bad as when I used her pinking shears on paper.

Click image for larger version

Name:	pinking-shears-scissors-6050438.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	843151

Comment

• Same sort of deal here. My dad was a barber. You didn't dare use a barber scissors on paper!
                      "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

• Rockler Sandpaper Cutter $12.99

For $12.99 the Rockler sandpaper cutter is very handy and a fairly good deal unless you have to pay a lot for shipping. Gone are the days when your wife asks accusingly "You haven't been using my good scissors for cutting sandpaper again, have you?" Or possibly even worse: tearing them in half by hand after folding them to make a crease...

http://www.rockler.com/rockler-sandpaper-cutter

Steve Ahola

P.S. There are plenty of DIY projects to build your own cutter if you search for "sandpaper cutter"...

P.P.S. If you order it from Amazon the shipping charge is $3.99 (same as a CD from a 3rd party seller there which IMO is outrageous!) Same price as ordering it from Rockler website... and they take PayPal (which Amazon doesn't.) I am fortunate to have a Rockler store in town which is on the way to my son's apartment. BTW I didn't see their sandpaper cutter the last time I was in their store so it is probably a fairly new item.

https://www.amazon.com/Rockler-Sandp.../dp/B00JPCEWPI
                        Last edited by Steve A.; 08-31-2016, 12:13 AM.
                        The Blue Guitar
                        www.blueguitar.org
                        Some recordings:

Comment

I've got some tiny dikes that I use for guitar strings so I can cut close and not get into the headstock, but if someone used them on bass strings it would be like using mom's sewing shears on paper.
                          Me, too, but I forget to mark them as such so I have a whole sh^tload of questionable Hakko cutters...

Steve
                          The Blue Guitar
                          www.blueguitar.org
                          Some recordings:

Comment

Me, too, but I forget to mark them as such so I have a whole sh^tload of questionable Hakko cutters...

Steve
                            That's the worst, Still useful but not what it should be. Just not quite trash.

Comment

Steve
                              That's the worst, Still useful but not what it should be. Just not quite trash.

Comment

• Originally posted by Richard
                                I've got some tiny dikes that I use for guitar strings so I can cut close and not get into the headstock,
                                Originally posted by Steve A. View Post
                                Those little Hakko nippers are great, as long as you use 'em only on copper wire and small component leads only. Guitar strings, no way. Bass? You gotta be kidding! For strings I've been using full size dikes (diagonal cutters), a pair that cost me under $10 has lasted 25+ years so far so good, showing no nicks in the blades after cutting thousands of strings.

And I got a mini-dikes from Parts Express on special a couple years ago, dead cheap only $5. I avoid using those minis on steel string wire. They're quite nicely made especially for the price, and I even use 'em to cut my nails.
                                This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Working...
                                X