Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Repairing compressor motor damaged lead wire. Need help identifying this component.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Repairing compressor motor damaged lead wire. Need help identifying this component.

I'm helping out my father on a project, and he was asking my advice on what to do with one of the leads coming out of the motor. It looks like it was packed of stored with the lead pinched between one of the edges on the motor chassis and had been damaged. I told him I'd fix it for him.
    There's at least a dozen quick ways to splice the wires back together. But I decided to make an easy job way more difficult than it needed to be so it would "look better".
    Anyway, the damage is about 1/4 way down the wire coming out of the motor, and I wanted to cut if off and feed it back through and reconnect it at the original junction. The damaged lead is crimped to one of the legs on a component, which is wired in series, with the tinsel lead of one of the motor brushes connected to the other leg. I took some pictures.
    I initially thought that it was a thermal fuse of some sort, and was trying to figure out how to solder the new connection with out potentially damaging it. But I'm not certain it is a fuse at all? It may be a PTC switch, or other kind of thermostat, or sensor, etc.
    take a look:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5788.jpeg
Views:	308
Size:	1.42 MB
ID:	909018

Name:	IMG_5790.jpeg
Views:	296
Size:	964.7 KB
ID:	909017

Anyone know what this is?
    My working plan is to heat sink the Mother F* out of the leads and get on there and off quick with my iron.
    Whadya' think?
    If I have a 50% chance of guessing the right answer, I guess wrong 80% of the time.

That second pic appears to be a 30K resistor.
    It is not clear at all what you are 'fixing'.

Comment

Originally posted by SoulFetish View Post
      I'm helping out my father on a project, and he was asking my advice on what to do with one of the leads coming out of the motor. It looks like it was packed of stored with the lead pinched between one of the edges on the motor chassis and had been damaged. I told him I'd fix it for him.
      There's at least a dozen quick ways to splice the wires back together. But I decided to make an easy job way more difficult than it needed to be so it would "look better".
      Anyway, the damage is about 1/4 way down the wire coming out of the motor, and I wanted to cut if off and feed it back through and reconnect it at the original junction. The damaged lead is crimped to one of the legs on a component, which is wired in series, with the tinsel lead of one of the motor brushes connected to the other leg. I took some pictures.
      I initially thought that it was a thermal fuse of some sort, and was trying to figure out how to solder the new connection with out potentially damaging it. But I'm not certain it is a fuse at all? It may be a PTC switch, or other kind of thermostat, or sensor, etc.
      take a look:

Name:	IMG_5788.jpeg
Views:	308
Size:	1.42 MB
ID:	909018

Name:	IMG_5790.jpeg
Views:	296
Size:	964.7 KB
ID:	909017

Anyone know what this is?
      My working plan is to heat sink the Mother F* out of the leads and get on there and off quick with my iron.
      Whadya' think?
      Looks like a Portage Electrical Products Inc thermal switch, 120 deg F from the rating on the part. Here's their website with a photo of the same style part you have there:

http://pepiusa.info/products/
      Logic is an organized way of going wrong with confidence

Comment

If it's a thermal switch it should measure zero Ohm and I would avoid soldering.
        - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Working...
        X