Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Odd value 20mm 700v 250mA Ceramic fuse finding

Hi there

I have a super cheap DMM that I can use and abuse without worry and the mA scale fuse has gone. I have no idea why, I don't think I've ever even used that before on this particular meter. Anyway, its a 700v 250mA ceramic in the 20mm package and I can't find them ANYWHERE. I can find that rating but only in the larger 32mm and 38mm packages. Anyone know anywhere I may be able to get one from?

I suppose I'm unlikely to be measuring current near 600v with this meter anytime soon, but would rather the correct fuse of course. I could probably just use the 10A current mode on my meter as thats normally close enough for what I need, but anyway, if anyone knows off hand a source for this odd size/rating then that would be cool!

EDIT - doing two things at once, its 250mA but I still can't find one!

A quick trip to Mouser and in 20mm size fuses at 250ma (0.25A) I find 8 choices in ceramic, and 39 choices in glass.

I don't know your favorite (favourite?) supplier in teh UK, but 250ma 20mm fuse should not be a rare item.

Check the big parts houses, and start with "fuse 20mm" and use the search parameters to narrow it down from there.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
      A quick trip to Mouser and in 20mm size fuses at 250ma (0.25A) I find 8 choices in ceramic, and 39 choices in glass.

I don't know your favorite (favourite?) supplier in teh UK, but 250ma 20mm fuse should not be a rare item.

Check the big parts houses, and start with "fuse 20mm" and use the search parameters to narrow it down from there.
      Thanks for the reply! I think the tricky aspect is the 700v rating, I've tried looking for 1000v rating too thinking that may be a bit more common, but once you narrow down a search to 250mA 20mm ceramic fuse on the uk mouser the highest voltage they offer as a filter-option is 250v... The highest voltage rating they offer for any ampage of 20mm fuses full stop is 600v ac and 500 dc...

Hehe, I appreciate the extra 'u' for me across the pond

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0831.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	538.4 KB
ID:	913771
      Last edited by OwenM; 09-18-2020, 10:33 PM.

Comment

Frankly, I'd have no problem using a 250V fuse in that application- same as many other meters use.
        "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

What is make and model of meter?
          It's possible the fuse has a fake rating.
          Originally posted by Enzo
          I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
            Frankly, I'd have no problem using a 250V fuse in that application- same as many other meters use.
            Same here, and I wouldn't worry about the ceramic body either. They may have chosen that with a nod to safety. Who wants to shake tiny shards of glass out of your mini DVM? I'm sure a standard glass body fuse would work just fine.
            This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Inside a *cheap* DMM?

Then those must be 700V PMPO

I would use a 250V standard fuse there.
              Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Thanks guys, 250v it is then!

g1 it's a Tacklife dm08!

Comment

Not too sure if this is a misprint in the manual.
                  100V max???
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Jazz P Bass View Post
                    Not too sure if this is a misprint in the manual.
                    100V max???
                    Yeah, the whole thing is somewhat 'non pro', the manual seems to have been knocked together in an evening... A few pages on it says max voltage 600v but I'm still bloody cautious when using this thing!

Comment

Originally posted by J M Fahey View Post
                      I would use a 250V standard fuse there.
                      Just so
                      Overload protection: Standard Fast blows Fuse (5 x 20 mm)
                      uA/mA Range: F250mA
                      10A Range: F10A
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	! Reminder.gif
Views:	291
Size:	154 Bytes
ID:	913825
                      https://manuall.co.uk/tacklife-dm08-multimeter/
                      It's All Over Now

Comment

"NCV/OVERLOAD PROTECTION:When the detected voltage is greater than 90V (RMS), the flashlight will flash and the buzzer alarm,when a short-circuit accident accur, the double explosion-proof ceramic fuses will quickly blow, which will greatly reduce the risk of safety"

I can't find 'double explosion-proof' in the fuse selectors at any of the electronics suppliers. Must be double-secret.
                        Originally posted by Enzo
                        I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Originally posted by g1 View Post
                          I can't find 'double explosion-proof' in the fuse selectors at any of the electronics suppliers. Must be double-secret.
                          About 'double explosion-proof'
                          Safe Ceramic fuse inside are filled with fine quartz sand, which extinguishes the spark that can be formed by burning the calibrated fuse wire.
                          It's All Over Now

Comment

Fuses are not only rated for current (performance) and voltage (safety) but also for breaking current capacity (safety) , where required.
                            https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breaking_capacity
                            - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Originally posted by g1 View Post
                              "NCV/OVERLOAD PROTECTION:When the detected voltage is greater than 90V (RMS), the flashlight will flash and the buzzer alarm,when a short-circuit accident accur, the double explosion-proof ceramic fuses will quickly blow, which will greatly reduce the risk of safety"

I also like 'reduce the risk of safety' ie. reduce the risk of being safe. Additionally I only use double explosion proof equipment across my whole household, finding a double explosion proof whisk was a bit of a headache but nice to know I am half as likely to suffer severe explosion in my day to day business.

In other news, I put in the new fuse and it blew as soon as I tried to use the mA testing range, 2 more down and I see why the fuse was blown even though I don't recall using that feature on the DMM since I bought it! The 10A range is showing me the device I'm testing is running at about 2mA of current so I think theres a junk pile around here somewhere that this thing will be finding a home in in the not too distant future. Took the opportunity to order a fluke and my other midrange DMM will now serve as the backup once this one is kicked out the back door!

Comment

Working...
                              X