Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

my soldering iron idler stopped working...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my soldering iron idler stopped working...

Hi all,
    My soldering station is on the fritz so my backup is a 35 watt iron and I connect it (in line) to an idler that I built years ago. The idler drops down the wattage (via a diode on a switch) so I don't abuse my soldering tips too quickly when I'm doing other stuff. When I'm ready to solder, the idler returns the wattage to full pretty quickly. But I noticed that my idler is not working normally so I took it apart and, lo and behold, the diode is toast so I have to mount a new diode but can't remember which one I used. I'm thinking probably a 1N4007 but can anyone confirm or improve on this?
    Thanks,
    Bob M.

What is an idler? Can you post a circuit?
    - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Originally posted by Helmholtz View Post
      What is an idler?
      I'm guessing it's just a diode in series with a mains powered iron. A shorting switch across the diode returns the iron to full power.

Comment

HH it will be a rectifier in series with the iron and a switch to short the diode out.

Bob: You might consider a 60W temperature controlled iron for $20 or so. No fried tips or components yet enough power to solder pot bodies and heavy busbars.
        Experience is something you get, just after you really needed it.

Comment

I use an idler myself, an 1N4007 is enough for a soldering iron, I use a 3A 2N5408 so it also handles an 800W hot plate.

Yes; I know, on paper I would need a 4A diode but I count on the 50% duty cycle.

Never burnt a diode.
          Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

I first saw this idea in an electronics magazine in the 70's and built one for myself. I used to for many years with an iron that was prone to burning tips. Nowadays I have a motion sensor in the hand piece and it switches the temperature down after a period of inactivity, then off if it isn't used after another time interval. All programmable, as with most things these days.

Comment

I have the ghetto version of that: a Microswitch attached to the soldering iron holder so iron weight opens it so it receives halfwave 50Hz; when lifted to work switch shorts across diode for full power.

hey, it IS intelligent , has a logic gate built in (the switch diode combination) and runs a program.

Real "computer style" binary Logic:ON-OFF

Just donīt remember if I used Basic (hey, it was 1970) or C++ to write it , I made it 50 years ago.

Note: Microswitch here does not mean those silver knob thingies used to phase split guitar pickups, etc. but the proper name for Industrial mechanical sensors; you use many everyday all over the place without knowing it, faithfully worki g inside elevators, door fridges, automatic garage openers, washing machine weight sensors and 1000 more.

Typically VERY sensitive and designed to be mounted to machines, frames, etc. :
              :

I use a similar one, with twice as long lever with tip under soldering iron body, feather sensitive:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Omron-V-162-1C5-30069509-01.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	130.3 KB
ID:	915315
              Notice this seemingly innocent tiny switch , chewing gum sized, switches 16A@250V AC ! A half horsepower electric motor including its brutal starting peak, and will do that thousands of times.

VERY versatile:

Name:	precision.png
Views:	125
Size:	218.6 KB
ID:	915316

Name:	1_427_35950_750_353.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	915317
              Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Old photo-copiers are a great source for those kinds of micro switches, with all kinds of interesting actuators.
                And some of them even have lights that say 'jam', perfect for standby switch applications.
                Originally posted by Enzo
                I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

I actually have that done with my bench lighting...sometimes I find it too bright so I plug the lights into an outlet and I have two residential style switches connected....one switch turns on all the bench power so that some of the gear will power up as soon as I turn the switch on.....the other switch is used for the lighting and I have a diode connected across that...in one position the bench lights have full power and in the other it is cut in half......sometimes, depending on what I am going, I find that the lighting is too bright.....works great for me.....

Comment

It's great to see everyone's 'custom' made solutions. I normally use a Weller WTCPT but as it's not doing it's thing right now and the show must go on, I grabbed my backup 35W for the particular job at hand. I guess I could throw alot of money at this problem but I'm pretty much in the habit of building the smaller shop/bench tools I need/use myself, as many techs do. I'll try that 1N5804 diode solution for my idler, thanks. Alot of the cheaper irons coming from China nowadays have a diode already built in (on a switch), or sometimes a pot/rheostat. I went thru my soldering irons the other day (I must have 10~15) and I could probably use a 60 watt one. There's a 60 watt Hakko sold at Home Depot for $14 and change, which I might do.
                    Thanks for the replies.
                    Bob M.

Comment

Working...
                    X