Multimeter questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multimeter questions

1) Is there a good reason to have a manual ranging multimeter?

2) Is there a good reason to have an averaging multimeter?

3) Is there a good reason to have an analog multimeter?

3. Ahhh... a good old Simpson 260. In general I see no reason to have an analog meter. People will tell you how good they are at watching trends or peaaking. But most digital meters have a trend bar anyway. I have a wonderful old Triplett similar to the 260. Once in a blue moon I get it out for old times' sake. I spent many years looking at analog meters on my VTVMs. But my digital runs rings around those.

Analog disadvantages: I can't drop them and expect them to survive. I can't conveniently measure positive and negative voltages without taking steps between. If I measure negative 100v and then move to measure +400v B+, if I forget to swap probes, the reverse voltage into the meter can actually bend the needle.

1. I think what you are used to is a factor. I have used autoranging meters for decades. I also have manual switched scale meters. I am comfortable with the autoranger. I know how to hold a scale, and I can usually fool it into getting to another scale. SOme guys don't get over the range changing. It pays to have a good one though. SOme crappy old autorangers will sit there going blip...blip...blip... looking for a scale. But a newer nicer meter skips scales quickly and settle on a reading in less than a second.

2. There are many newer meters with advanced features like that. I myself have little need of them, but depending on what you plan to do they might be useful.

These are just my opinions
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

2) My meter has a min/max/avg feature that you can toggle through. I have used the min and max and found them useful. The avg. I have not used.
      Originally posted by Enzo
      I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Just picked up a handheld Fluke 25 for $5 at the flea market. Working in a calibration lab now for a living and i get to see some new stuff that needs repairs and I also get to see some older stuff ~40+ years old that are still in cal. There are some really nice cadillac scopes out there but cost half a years salary.

That being said i do use a analog for checking phase of pickups.

Comment

Working...
        X