Crimping tool?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crimping tool?

I need to crimp some molex type connector to wires. The wires (and connector pins) are very small. What crimpers do you recommend? Thanks.

I bought a cheap Waldom/Molex crimper with dies for 06 and 09 pins and it has worked reliably for me now since the 1970s.

In fact this exact model:
    https://www.zoro.com/gc-electronics-...-p/i/G2170132/

I had a rep from AMP visit my shop many years ago to discuss connectors. He looked at my crimper and said it ought to work fine with AMP pins also. He was right.

What sort of pins are you crimping? There are some tiny ones that don't use little wrap-around flags, they are tubular and you insert the wire and dent the side. I might have to crimp those with a different tool. But my Waldom tool gets 99% of them.

Much as I would love to have a really cool $150 ratchet action specialty crimper in my box, I just never saw the need.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

I have a similar one, maybe different brand? The bolt cutter part comes in handy, too.
      "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

What are the Male mating pins size? Square or Round? I've been using Molex KK series 0.062" square pins, 4mm spacing...Trifurcon terminals...has the traditional single-spring-wipe main conrtact along with small spring-loaded flaps on top so there's three contract surfaces. On 0.025" square pins, I just spent funds for that size in Molex KK series, using the High Pressure enclosed square pin sockets. 24-30AWG wire size.

I've owned a production Molex Ratcheting crimp tool, and have learned to make it work with a wide variety of Molex terminals. I've also picked up used Amp ratcheting crimp tools, and also have a larger Molex production ratcheting tool for round terminals whose male portion is roughly 0.090" dia, and work with wire sizes as large as 16AWG, down to 24AWG.

Click image for larger version

Name:	New Connector Pins-2.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	1.07 MB
ID:	957268

These are the Hi Pressure terminals, 24-30AWG wire size, 0.025" square pins...Molex KK series. Not everyone is stocking the pins you need to mate with the socket housings you need. Push comes to shove, I've been known to saw a wider housing down to the number of contacts needed with an X-Acto razor saw. The Waldom/Molex crimper Enzo referred to might work with these...never tried one.
        Attached Files
        Logic is an organized way of going wrong with confidence

Comment

I have had some pins a size or shape that the crimp tool wouldn't work. Often in those cases, I'll just carefully solder the wire to the connector pins.
          "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

In my field kit I carried both plain KK156 terminals and the trifurcons. I mostly saved the trifurcons for power handling pins
            Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

A forum contributor, Mark Black, recommended these crimpers. https://iwiss.com/products/micro-ope...nd-connectors/

I bought them and they work great!

Comment

That looks like a winner. How much?

Comment

IWISS 24-14AWG(0.25-2.0mm˛) Weather Pack Crimping Tool IWS-1424B - Walmart.com

Comment

This doesn't look like the same tool. But,it probably is an idea of the cost range.

Comment

Originally posted by nevetslab View Post

This doesn't look like the same tool. But,it probably is an idea of the cost range.
                      They are even cheaper, about $10. Both sizes linked below.
                      https://www.crimpingtools.com/produc...and-connectors
                      https://www.crimpingtools.com/produc...=8763857633324
                      Originally posted by Enzo
                      I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

the termination is called "open barrel connectors".
                        This is the die set you want for your crimper:

https://www.idealind.com/us/en/shop/30-586.html
                        If I have a 50% chance of guessing the right answer, I guess wrong 80% of the time.

Comment

Working...
                        X