Simpson 438 Colorscope Oscilloscope

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Simpson 438 Colorscope Oscilloscope

A friend gave me this, said his dad used it a long time ago but he didn't know anything about the condition. It's super-clean inside but I'm sure after sitting for at least 30 years the cap cans need replacing before I fire it up. I could probably do it on the variac I suppose.

Does anyone know anything about this particular unit? I know it's not actually a color screen but it was free and I'll use it if it's any good.
    --Jim

He's like a new set of strings... he just needs to be stretched a bit.

https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/simpso...lorscope.html#
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Thanks, I found that. I was just wondering if anyone here had experience with it.
      --Jim

Comment

It's similar to my first scope, my Dad's Eico 460. I used it for my organ/synth experiments for a few years but it had serious
        limitations like:

AC coupling only - can't show DC levels
        Lots of drift - constantly having to adjust horizontal and vertical position
        Little to no calibration - hard to make measurements of time or amplitude
        No triggered sweep - hard to get a stable display
        Low bandwidth - 300 KHz is barely enough even for audio

My second scope was an HP 130B. Still all tube, built like a tank, but still only 300 KHz bandwidth
        My third scope I bought new. A Telequipment D31A 10Mhz dual trace. That was a great scope. I miss it (snifff),
        but I eventually needed more bandwidth for digital circuits.

Comment

It is like a cheap guitar. It works and you can play it, just not as good a thing as a more serious guitar. dmeek's story sums it up.
          Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Well that's a bummer. Thanks for the info.
            --Jim

Comment

You can do a ton with it. Make it work, learn about scopes. Like a early guitar, playing it for a year teaches you what you might want to look for in a better guitar. I like most expect a triggered scope for its stable screen, but if you have a sine wave up there, and it slowly drifts across the screen because it is not triggered, you still can easily see it is a sine wave and whether it has clipped peaks or whatever. There is nothing wrong with something being basic, just realize that it is and as a wise man said, "You've got to know (its) limitations."

Comment

I agree It's still useful. I would prefer it over one of those mini lcd digital "oscilloscopes" you see on ebay

Comment

Funny you should mention that. I got one of those and it is cool for about five minutes. I'll bring this up slow on the variac and see if it works.
                  --Jim

Comment

After a while on the variac, bringing up voltage slowly, it appears to be alive. Now I need to get a probe and go through the manual service instructions to see if it will cooperate.
                    Attached Files
                    --Jim

Comment

Well that fizzled. I turned it on today, again on the variac, let it run for a while and noticed the screen had gone dark. Something shut down thermally inside because I couldn't hear the transformer humming either but the fuse is still good. So I shut it off, turned it back on and the image started to come up. Then it went dark again and I could smell something hot. Shut it down, pulled the cover and I don't see anything physically burned but something was obviously on its way to doing so. I plugged into the LBL and both the indicator light and the 100w lightbulb came on dim. After a few minutes I shut down, plugged it into the non-limited outlet and turned it on. After about a minute it started smelling hot again. I don't know if this is worth putting any diagnostic time into or not.
                      --Jim

Comment

A simple test you could try is to turn it on with the 2 5Y3s removed. If something is still burning it's probably the transformer and not worth fixing. If it seems OK then it could be the filter caps C35 2X .5/1500V or C32 3X 10/450.
                        I like working on test equipment. It's usually an educational experience if nothing else.
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	simpson_458_colorscope_sch.gif
Views:	248
Size:	134.7 KB
ID:	958726

Comment

It almost looks like the top rectifier is going to the CRT section and the other is a standard circuit. This CRT stuff is not something I'm familiar with. I'm not totally sure what's going on here to be honest. I pulled the 5Y3s out and it isn't heating up now. But that .5/1500 cap can is a monster. Does it need to be that big physically or can I use alternatives there? Again, it appears to be on the CRT side. They're over $60 at the parts houses.
                          Attached Files
                          --Jim

Comment

You can use 2 of these, about $5 for both. https://www.digikey.com/en/products/...hwBUcBpEAXQF8g
                            If you can power up with V9 installed and only V8 removed. then it is likely those caps. Be careful, there is 1200 or more Volts in that area.

Comment

I let it run for about an hour without V8 in and nothing got hot so I know it's on that side of the circuit at least. I'll get a couple of those caps, I don't have any rated that high voltage-wise.

That is a strange circuit. I know it's not an amp but it looks like the rectifier is wired backward.
                              --Jim

Comment

Working...
                              X