PAT Tested for occasional use

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PAT Tested for occasional use

I occasionally get asked if I can PAT test amps that I have repaired and whilst I have a clunky old 1KV megger for occasional earth continuity / insulation breakdown testing and 2 eyes for inspection I am not sure what exactly I need to do in terms of record keeping etc. Googling it is a bit of a mine field returning 100s of training courses and relatively little authoritive test specs. I was thinking about getting a simple pass/fail type tester that might make for convenient test that I can add on to amp services. Would like to hear if others do PAT testing service and have any suggested product recommendations.

PS PAT testing is Portable Applicance Testing and might be specific to the UK though not sure...

It's called Hipot testing here. I have a nice Hipot tester but I've never used it. It generates up to a 3kV pulse.

Rod-L M100
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Rod_L_M100AVS5.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	12.1 KB
ID:	974607

Comment

Hipot testing is different to PAT testing, which has a much broader scope and includes visual checks, fusing, earth continuity, earth leakage, insulation integrity, polarity etc. I looked at getting a basic Seaward handheld unit, but there's more to it than that. The operator must be a 'Competent Person' which means some form of accreditation or specific training in the use of PAT testing equipment. There's also the requirement to keep up with changes in legislation and testing methods. Because the testing is within the framework of several acts of law, there's legal liability and insurance to consider - the tester is warranting that the equipment is safe to use. In addition the test equipment has to be tested and calibrated annually to a traceable standard. Record keeping is not mandatory, but it's prudent to keep a register of equipment and the test results.

In all, I decided it was too costly and onerous to do this as an add-on to amp servicing. I used an earth leakage tester and inspected the fusing, mains cable etc as a matter of course when carrying out repairs, though. I would need to do a lot of PAT testing to make it economical.

Comment

Thanks both... I agree with you Mick economics of it don't make much sense. it seeems to be more common in UK for places like wedding venues to insist on PAT for bands, DJs presumably on behalf of their insurers. When I have had my band gear tested a guy would come round put stickers on everything and charge £50 approx.

Comment

Working...
        X