X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgraded crossover for old Focals

re~ Italian crossovers:

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/284571296457...torefresh=true

This seems the best spot to ask about an eBay option regarding adding quality to these speakers. I'll renew all caps etc. err, just please review my question to the Greek seller, who never replied I asked,

" read this about my Focal tweeters, 'needs treatment to control dispersion for proper imaging within a system. A felt ring did the trick, and kept standing waves from bouncing back and forth from the flange to the diaphram - plus giving the window more control. Must be used with at least 12 dB/ octave network. The Voice coil on the torture test (intended to find failure point) opened at 65 watts at 5 KHZ. This tweeter would handle any 500 watt amplifier providing that in a system ; a 2nd, 3rd, or 4th order network is used.(8k, 6k, 4k respectively) Makes a fine super-tweeter above 8 KHZ...but for low crossover frequencies, it is just too fragile. Needs to be used in at least a 3 way or 4 way system, if high dB or large room/ amplifier is used.' "

I have a custom set here built by Brian Adam's sound engineer who super kindly gave these to me via a Craglist, Free ad! When he custom built the sweet cabinets, he insertered a two-way and they happily run basic Xovers but they're worth upgrading.
    I don't run these loud as I use them for recording and playback at modest levels.
    My inverted tweeters can reproduce 1KHz on the spec-sheet. That might be safe for only 10 Watts though
    The drivers will trade down to a subwoofer, so 2.1 kinda.
    Attached Files

What exactly is your question?
    "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Would these crossovers be the best affordable match for these Focal 2-way speakers?

My 8" mid-woofers seem to roll of around 80 to 100Hz. I have a variable lowpass subwoofer here to cover lows

The tweeter graph shows strong low KHz extension so I’d rather not x-Over. at 8Khz for eg.

The eBay Xover has quality coils and is the first to catch my eye recently.
      Last edited by Guitarist; 01-08-2023, 03:37 AM.

Comment

Working...
      X