Amp Clamp Multimeter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amp Clamp Multimeter

I'm looking to purchase a cheap clamp multimeter.
    Wondering if the MEF group has any input.
    Something that can measure current on misc. home and farm dabbling and repairs.
    Not looking for fluke type pricing.
    T
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

I have an ultra-cheap DT266. Not very accurate but ok for my purposes.
    Clamp only works for AC current.
    Originally posted by Enzo
    I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

My meter doesn't display low currents with any accuracy. I built a 10x loop out of speaker wire to get better resolution for currents "under a few amps". put it on a 110v plug to be able to swap it out with a light/dim bulb tester. I mention this because you may be limited in amp ranges under a particular price point.

If you're measuring currents in the several-horsepower range, please disregard

Good luck, Teee!
      If it still won't get loud enough, it's probably broken. - Steve Conner
      If the thing works, stop fixing it. - Enzo
      We need more chaos in music, in art... I'm here to make it. - Justin Thomas
      MANY things in human experience can be easily differentiated, yet *impossible* to express as a measurement. - Juan Fahey

Comment

I bought a UNI-T UT210e Digital Clamp Meter AC DC Amp Meter Clamp Multimeter. It is not that accurate at very low current levels. But for the bigger stuff, it works ok.
        It's not just an amp, it's an adventure!

Comment

Originally posted by g1 View Post
          I have an ultra-cheap DT266. Not very accurate but ok for my purposes.
          Clamp only works for AC current.
          Glad you mentioned that some meters are AC amp only.
          I do need the DC capability.
          "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
          Terry

Comment

Something to look out for is the way DC clamp ammeters are described; some I've seen are multimeter-types where the DC ranges are test lead connection only - you have to break the connection for DC readings but are sold as AC/DC.

The types that use a hall effect device in the clamp read DC from the magnetic field around the wire. Another consideration is whether the meter will read current through a power cord without splitting the cable or using an adapter. With most clamp meters a single conductor has to be separated out. I had an expensive Fluke (£1200 at the time, and would have been over $2000 US) about 20 years ago that would test an unbundled power cable, but maybe this functionality has filtered down into affordable meters by now.

Comment

Originally posted by Mick Bailey View Post
              Another consideration is whether the meter will read current through a power cord without splitting the cable or using an adapter. With most clamp meters a single conductor has to be separated out. I had an expensive Fluke (£1200 at the time, and would have been over $2000 US) about 20 years ago that would test an unbundled power cable, but maybe this functionality has filtered down into affordable meters by now.
              Wondering how that could work as the net current in a complete power cord should be zero.
              Do you know what's the measuring principle or remember the model number?
              - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Originally posted by Helmholtz View Post
                Do you know what's the measuring principle or remember the model number?
                see example attached. It takes multiple sensors and lots of computing power.

Attached Files
                Originally posted by Enzo
                I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

I don't recall the model number, but at the time it was the only commercial clamp meter that would do this. I used it to assess power consumption in server installations when planning for expansion - to be able to take readings without shutting down any equipment, which ran 24/7. The racks were hard-wired but with a heavy flexible cable and it would have been a significant operation to temporarily install a split supply cable for use with a conventional meter. The downtime for each rack would have added up to being a major problem. I never knew how it worked, but it was much larger and bulkier than a conventional meter.

EDIT: I'm now thinking it could have been a Megger instrument. I had a lot of gear back then so may have got mixed up with the brands. I remember the cable centralising function which is mentioned in the Megger instructions. If the cable was slightly off-centre or at an angle, the reading would be inaccurate.

Comment

Working...
                  X