Vigier Surfretter...cheap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vigier Surfretter...cheap?

Well I've wanted a Vigier Surfretter for some time now, being a big fan of Bumblefoot's fretless playing and had even talked myself into considering the few $3500 ones on Reverb (ouch!) but then suddenly the most unique part of the guitar appeared:

An unused Vigier Excalibur neck from a nice guy in Sweden! For less than 1/4 of a full guitar!
    Click image for larger version

Name:	vigier 001.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	181.5 KB
ID:	930035

Name:	vigier 003.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	139.7 KB
ID:	930037

Name:	vigier 004.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	930038
    Its a fretless with a type of cymbal brass fretboard which actually allows the strings to vibrate without finger dampening (a fair amount of gain and/or a Sustainer can help too). An older goldish 2005 version (the newer ones are more silver) and both have a big CF spar down the center and (I think) no truss rod.

I think I'll build it up with a figured walnut body and a Hannes Schaller bridge (piezos?) and Schaller F series locking tuners (keeping with a Euro theme) probably one bridge pickup, maybe a BKP.

Attached Files

Can you use regular strings? I wonder if the surface eventually becomes scooped due to finger vibrato and bends - similar to fret wear.

Comment

Originally posted by Mick Bailey View Post
      Can you use regular strings? I wonder if the surface eventually becomes scooped due to finger vibrato and bends - similar to fret wear.
      I really have no idea, its a horse of a different color, so to speak. Also Bends are done like vibrato; on the strings axis, not by actually bending the strings! I imagine flat wounds would be easier on the metal, but I don't think many use those. I'll read up, Ron is really adept at this but has many Vigiers (including several double necks with conventional FR fretted versions) as he is sponsored by them.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Thal Vigier Double neck.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	432.2 KB ID:	930117
      here's a nice live take Ron does playing over a Satriani track (notice how he uses the included thimble on the lower neck to mimic a whammy pedal)
      Its all about legato on the fretless!

Comment

What incredible playing. Makes me feel completely inadequate.

Comment

Working...
        X