Which classic amp and why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which classic amp and why?

If you wanted to choose an out-of-production classic amp design to copy and sell commercially (in small quantities and quite possibly unsuccessfully), which amp would you pick and why?

I'm not a player per say but I'd always wanted to hear a champ so I built one from old organ parts sounded pretty darn good then I wanted to hear a tweed deluxe same thing old parts .next is a tweed bassman. I build what I want to hear. i sell them after I'm done playing with them..Theres no money in a cut throat boutique amp business.

nosaj
    soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

Comment

Build good sounding and good looking amps. people will buy an unknown amp based on how it plays, not based on what "real:" amp it is claimed to be based upon.
      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Portaflex maybe. The new ones are not really like the originals.
        Originally posted by Enzo
        I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Dumble OD Special? Must have correct black goo to sound right...naked ones sound less mysterious!

Comment

This is no "one" amp. Dead end.
            --
            I build and repair guitar amps
            http://amps.monkeymatic.com

Comment

Build the one YOU like so at least it has *one* customer (you).
              Use and enjoy it.

IF somebody likes and wants it, set a price to move it and think about the next one.

ALL Classics are still in production and in quantity, either plain Reissues, both Factory made or second tier producers.

It is VERY HARD to beat lowish price VERY well made amps such as:

http://www.ceriatone.com/
              Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

My '61 Ampeg Reverberocket is really special. Every time I play through is like time travel. I try to imagine what it must have been like for that first owner to have taken it home and plugged it in for the first time. It sounds like the 60s - more so than any other amp I've ever played. To this day I still can't quite grasp how good this still sounds. It would be difficult to reproduce because the cabinet ply is very resinous and no longer available. The problem I see with reproducing old amps is that they can never be the same. I liken this to making a film set in a certain era; superficially it may look OK, but compared to an actual film shot at the time doesn't hold up.

I've reproduced old designs and sold them at Paper-Round earnings. Despite an order and persistence from a U.S Grammy-nominated player who's an endorsee of a premium brand that would have maybe led somewhere, I couldn't face working for next to nothing so decided amp building isn't for me and declined.

My own approach is to build amps and effects to my own design and deliberately avoid copying anyone else. I build for myself , to experiment and try out ideas, and if anyone likes them, I'll sell. I've found a new breed of young players lately who've picked up on my stuff. Innovative players who don't want the same gear as everyone else and who are looking for a unique angle for creativity. Most of my customers are followers, though; slaves to what their 'hero' uses and don't step forward with their own sound. They don't want my own designs.
                Last edited by Mick Bailey; 10-14-2021, 08:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Blackdog View Post
                  If you wanted to choose an out-of-production classic amp design to copy and sell commercially (in small quantities and quite possibly unsuccessfully), which amp would you pick and why?
                  If we answer that question, we need a 10 % cut of your profits. Will write up the contract and send for your signature. Once signed, we will provide the answer and expect a production eta and approx income.

Comment

Originally posted by mozz View Post

If we answer that question, we need a 10 % cut of your profits. Will write up the contract and send for your signature. Once signed, we will provide the answer and expect a production eta and approx income.
                    10% of zero? I suspect you would be underwriting my losses!!

Comment

Tweed Champ or Deluxe actually.

Comment

how's about a Supro , ? {zeppelin ?) valco, gretsch....

Comment

Working...
                        X