Screw replacements for chassis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Screw replacements for chassis

I have tried a few sets of these Chinajunk screw sets but none of them seem to have the correct sizes, I would prefer to find some common sizes and buy those so I can fill the need.

I deal with missing screws in audio equipment chassis and power stages, but mainly chassis screws. They are generally black/charcoal, philips, and varying lengths and widths, metric/SAE all around that small size we have all seen.

Does anyone have knowledge about these screw sizes or perhaps an assortment more targeted at this? The computer screw assortment doesnt work but its in the ballpark size wise.

Don't know what region you live in, so what I'm able to track down locally in the San Fernando, CA area where i can walk in to purchase Black Oxide finished SAE thread screws may not be available to you. I do order machine screws thru McMaster-Carr all the time. They have a good selection of machine screws...both SAE and Metric, often can get them in Black Oxide or similar (if NOT Stainless Steel). Most sizes, head design, full/partial threading, drive pattern available. Usually qty's are 50 or 100pc per each size. Prices are reasonable. As usual, shipping costs are added.

I've had some luck with some screw types thru Amazon.com, but those are usually limited.

Locally to me is also Luky's Surplus Hardware (used to be Joe Factor Sales years ago), where there's a huge selection to choose from. Prices usually by weight and very reasonable. They're on Burbank Blvd, just west of Hollywood Way in Burbank.. Stainless Steel is always more.
    Last edited by nevetslab; 04-20-2022, 08:49 PM.
    Logic is an organized way of going wrong with confidence

Comment

I rarely buy screws. I save all the screws from unrepaired units in bins, so I can usually find what I need there.
      "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Originally posted by nevetslab View Post
        Don't know what region you live in, so what I'm able to track down locally in the San Fernando, CA area where i can walk in to purchase Black Oxide finished SAE thread screws may not be available to you. I do order machine screws thru McMaster-Carr all the time. They have a good selection of machine screws...both SAE and Metric, often can get them in Black Oxide or similar (if NOT Stainless Steel). Most sizes, head design, full/partial threading, drive pattern available. Usually qty's are 50 or 100pc per each size. Prices are reasonable. As usual, shipping costs are added.

I've had some luck with some screw types thru Amazon.com, but those are usually limited.

Locally to me is also Luky's Surplus Hardware (used to be Joe Factor Sales years ago), where there's a huge selection to choose from. Prices usually by weight and very reasonable. They're on Burbank Blvd, just west of Hollywood Way in Burbank.. Stainless Steel is always more.
        I'm in the US so McMaster-Carr is a good suggestion, thank you. There is a place around that has bulk screws, I never bothered to check out their selection, but that might be where to get a good match.

It brings up a secondary question, is there a reliable tool for testing holes for a screw size?

https://www.amazon.com/Bolt-Thread-C...ps%2C80&sr=8-3

28 of my favorites for a bunch of screw heads and a piece of wire is pushing it. Plus, you cant really rotate that thing looking like a set of janitor's keys.

Comment

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
          I rarely buy screws. I save all the screws from unrepaired units in bins, so I can usually find what I need there.
          Starting from zero here, but yes

Comment

Originally posted by MAPLE View Post

I'm in the US so McMaster-Carr is a good suggestion, thank you. There is a place around that has bulk screws, I never bothered to check out their selection, but that might be where to get a good match.

It brings up a secondary question, is there a reliable tool for testing holes for a screw size?

https://www.amazon.com/Bolt-Thread-C...ps%2C80&sr=8-3

28 of my favorites for a bunch of screw heads and a piece of wire is pushing it. Plus, you cant really rotate that thing looking like a set of janitor's keys.
            I've never used one. Usually I will know quickly if the chassis is using metric hardware, and then I can check with available metric screws for the proper one. SAE holes, I can usually eyeball it and know right off. #10 hardware....only going to be one or the other...#10-24 (not so common) or #10-32 (most common). M5 and #10-32 thread/hole is VERY similar, but definitely NOT the same.

I have a hole gauge, but that's mainly for PCB hole sizes, and limited to around 0.130" dia.
            Logic is an organized way of going wrong with confidence

Comment

Originally posted by nevetslab View Post

I've never used one. Usually I will know quickly if the chassis is using metric hardware, and then I can check with available metric screws for the proper one. SAE holes, I can usually eyeball it and know right off. #10 hardware....only going to be one or the other...#10-24 (not so common) or #10-32 (most common). M5 and #10-32 thread/hole is VERY similar, but definitely NOT the same.

I have a hole gauge, but that's mainly for PCB hole sizes, and limited to around 0.130" dia.

Generally, yes. Canadian gear trips you up though

Thanks for the sizes, that helps.

Comment

Looking at the sizes, consumer stereo component gear seems to use a Private Messages more often

Comment

Originally posted by MAPLE View Post
                  Looking at the sizes, consumer stereo component gear seems to use a Private Messages more often
                  That would be a # 8. There is a software problem so you need to separate the # sign from the numeral with a space.
                  Originally posted by Enzo
                  I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Working...
                  X