Ampeg cab

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ampeg cab

So I spotted what seemed like a deal on semi local Craigslist: a 412 cab loaded with Celestion Vintage 30s for $175. Guy was way out on the of a beautiful (twisty!) drive in Napa, Monticello Rd. / 121. So 200 hairpins later I'm at a mcmansion clinging to a rock outcrop. Poor 40 something is abandoning his guitar room and gear with a 2nd childs arrival.

Cab is an Ampeg SLM crap box but is indeed loaded with seemingly unused V30s, he's removed Ampeg logo (LOL) but added casters so its easier to load so Im off $175 poorer.

On opening it the speakers are a 2001 date code made in Ipswich England but wired with 20 AWG (?) so I decide to redo in 10AWG (I know I know..overkill ; ) with a Penn Elcom metal cup and dual Switchcraft 11s. Box is clean and solid even though the only non-particle board is the birch ply baffle.

I finished it up with a plaque that Grizzly Tools has on closeout; totally solid metal in construction and attitude IMHO. I bought two; the other will go on my XXX in place of the "mud flap girl" ; ) The cab sounds great; I'm certain Everett Hull would have HATED it !

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5257 (1).png Views:	0 Size:	5.45 MB ID:	963962
    since its sort of recycling it reminds me of Poochie
    Attached Files

Nice! Ya done well. In today's market, $175 would get you about one and maybe a quarter V-30 of the M.I.C. variety. Four made-in-Old-Blighty was worth all the trouble, I'm sure your ears will agree. And the neighbors too!
    This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Congratulations.

As of:
      a 412 cab loaded with Celestion Vintage 30s for $175..... Poor 40 something is abandoning his guitar room and gear with a 2nd childs arrival.
      People agonize over keeping old dry leaked electrolytics, death caps, skinny 2 wire mains wire, etc. , "to protect their investment", dreaming of a mythical collector (a rich lawrer or Doctor) who will pay $5000 for the trashed Tweed amp they bought at a pawnshop for $60.

Then reality hits (as in here) and hey have to sell stuff for cents on a dollar.
      Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Working...
      X