Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Tuberator Test Jig

Hello Friends and Hobbyists...

Another project, inspired by Terry at D-Lab electronics. Terry built a “Preamp Tube Microphonic Analyzer.” My needs are a bit simpler. I wanted to build a circuit board that would allow me to test the “12 series” tubes and look for gain. By wiring up both sides of a tube, I can then compare one to the other. And yes, I can tap on the tubes to see if they are microphonic and I could also take the output of each side and run that into an amp and listen to the signal (extra credit points on this project).

​So I give you the prototype, version 0.1 of the “Tuberator” (pronounced Tube-Er-A-Tor)”.

Refer to the notes on the prototype schematic for voltages, both AC and DC. Comments and suggestions are welcome - unless you think this is an imbecile project :-)

I will add some banana plugs to connect my dc voltmeters on the plate and cathode points.

I was wondering if it makes sense to connect the inputs together. Perhaps I add a .1uf cap before the 68k? So I can then eliminate the input selector switch.

​My big issue is trying to create a circuit that would allow me to test 12ax7, 12at7, 12ay7, and 12au7 tubes. The problem is that I need a way to make the test “fair” and consistent. For now, I am changing B+ to force 1.5 volts across the Cathode resistor. So I am shooting for identical currents through the tube. But I realize that may not be ideal. As you can see in the table, the plate voltage drops significantly. So your suggesting on this would be helpful.

If nothing else, my test circuit does show the difference in gain when comparing tubes.

DISCLAIMER – Like many of you, I am a hobbyist. So use extreme caution when working with these types of devices that utilize high voltages. BE CAREFULL !!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Tuberator.jpg
Views:	356
Size:	884.5 KB
ID:	970524

Click image for larger version

Name:	Schematic.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	843.9 KB
ID:	970525
    It's not just an amp, it's an adventure!

It is not a good idea to vary B+ for constant current (1mA here).
    Means that the plate voltage at idle must be lower by 100V than B+, resulting in very low plate voltage with some types.

Triode gain depends on plate current AND plate voltage, low plate voltage causes low gain.

Different tube types are designed/optimized for different operating condition (see datasheets), i.e.different applications. That's why there are different tube types after all.

So comparing a 12AX7 and a 12AU7 in a 12AX7 circuit is not appropriate or fair as only the 12AX will be center-biased.

To adjust for same plate current with full B+ you will need to make the cathode (biasing) resistors adjustable.

No problem to connect the grids.
    You might even connect the cathodes using a shared resistor of halved value.
    Last edited by Helmholtz; 10-09-2022, 02:36 PM.
    - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Thank you Helmhotz...

After reviewing the results and comparing, I quickly came to that conclusion late last night. For now, the test jig is nothing more than a device to test tubes individually and not compare them to different tube types. I should be altering the circuit and testing for closer to real world scenarios for each tube. So perhaps version 0.2 will have switchable components, similar to how we change settings in a tube tester. (rotary switching).
      It's not just an amp, it's an adventure!

Comment

Could a diode string or LED be used instead of a cathode resistor?

Comment

Originally posted by Mick Bailey View Post
          Could a diode string or LED be used instead of a cathode resistor?
          Won't work because different tubes require different bias for same current.
          - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Maybe a CRD such as a J505 or S-102 instead?

Comment

No idea for lack of experience with CRDs.

As any CCS can be assumed to be high impedance, a bypass cap will be required to avoid unwanted NFB.
              Last edited by Helmholtz; 10-09-2022, 04:45 PM.
              - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Yes, a bypass cap would be essential as the typical impedance for a J505 is given as 2M Ohm. I've seen very little reference to these being used in tube amps, but it would be interesting to experiment with.
                Last edited by Mick Bailey; 10-10-2022, 07:07 AM. Reason: missing word

Comment

Working...
                X