Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Burns Orbit Three

Transistor combo from 1963-ish.

Hand wired. Disgustingly so. Anyone got any information at all?

burns orbit 3

hi ted , i have schematics . get in touch if you need them...[ you can fix my orbit 2 at same time if you like ]

Comment

NEED SCHEMATIC for Burns Orbit Three

Hi univox, This is my very first post.
      I do a lot of amp repairs in the Orange County area of Southern California in the USA. Yesterday a very nice man brought me a Burns-Orbit Three, to fix.
      After opening it up....well, lets just say that I was amased. All solid state and Terminal strip/Point-to-point wiring, Two channel w 2 inputs each and seperate treb-bass-vol, a multiple position rotary voicing selector switch, switchable 120/240volt mains, Footswitchable Vibrato/Reverb, 3x10" Speakers, a Serial Number in the mid 300s...VERY COOL!!! Any kind of circuit schematic or layout or documentation of ANY KIND....even for a different model of Burns Solid State Amplifier would be a HUGE HELP!!!!!! At this point-barring any documentation-I'm looking at reverse engineering the whole, very complicated, amp-many hours. I'd very much like to be abel to economically repair this amp, and other Burns Amps too, if I can find a way. Again, ANY INFORMATION on any Burns amp will be helpful.
      Thank you,
      Hopefully Waiting,
      elecktrokatt@yahoo.com
      AKA; Dave
      PS. I'd love to fix your Orbit 2...if I can.

Comment

Check your mail

Comment

Originally posted by elecktrokatt@yahoo.com View Post
          Two channel w 2 inputs each and seperate treb-bass-vol, a multiple position rotary voicing selector switch, switchable 120/240volt mains, Footswitchable Vibrato/Reverb, 3x10" Speakers, a Serial Number in the mid 300s...VERY COOL!!!
          When it was new, it would have cost more than an AC30. They sold them in Harrods ( a very posh London shop). Even when they're working well they don't sound very lovely - early transistor sound and cheapo 10" speakers give me a headache. Those early germanium power transistors deteriorate with use and age to make things worse.

The best details - the red lacquered, hand made wooden pedal and the optional Studio/Normal switch which switches in a bigger capacitor to the emitter circuit of the output stage driver.

A toggle switch to select between 110 and 240V? For those of you who live in 110V countries this isn't a problem, I suppose. Like the stupid rotary selector on Twin reverbs...

Comment

Can you post the schematic here for reference for rest of us who might someday come looking for one, please?

Comment

Here it is - I've cleaned it up a little
              Attached Files

Comment

Here's a greyscale image - more readable than the black and white.
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Ted View Post
                  Here's a greyscale image - more readable than the black and white.
                  Hi Ted, thanks for posting this. I've just been asked to repair an Orbit 2, the customer says that he's also got an Orbit 3 in need of service. Not sure whether it'll be economic to repair either at this stage, Ge transistors are quite rare today and expensive if you do find any!

Comment

I've done a few of them now. The transistors in the power regulator darlington have been dead on all of them. This causes the supply to rise to the unregulated 50V level. (Should be 36V or so).
                    I've replaced the regulators either with discrete silicon or a silicon TO3 Darlington. For the germanium O/P trannys I use ASZ15s which are still just about available and a tenner a pair. I don't have any qualms about changing the pre-amp transistors for silicon, with a bit of bias tweaking. These amps sounded terrible in the first place, so there's no point trying too hard to make them sound good.

Comment

It's working now. The smoke that the customer noticed when first switching on after years (decades?) of storage was dust burning off a power resistor at the back of the chassis. Cleaned the volume controls etc. and it plays well enough. Can't turn the tremolo off, needs a new foot switch. Biggest concern is the exposed mains terminals where you can change the transformer taps for 120 volt or 240 volt. Certainly wouldn't pass a PAT test today! I'll permanently splice these wires and insulate with shrink tube if the customer wants it. Other wise leave it as it is a suggest it's just a museum piece to look at but not use.

Comment

Fascinating. A contemporary of the famous Vox T60, about the same technology.
                        Must have terrible crossover dostortion, impossible to correct.
                        A couple pictures (including the guts) might be interesting.
                        Thanks for posting.
                        Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

I guess it's collectible but whenever I find amps like that I want to gut them and build a little tube combo out of them- especially if they look cool and have half decent speakers!

jt

Comment

I took on a rebuild of an Orbit 3 some years ago without knowing that it had been considerably modified inside. Reverse engineering is proving tricky - has anyone got good photos of the internal layout as it should be? Incidentally, this one has (inaccurate) schematics/ circuit diagrams stapled to the inside of the box - they are as much use as a chocolate fireguard but not as tasty!

Comment

Willie

Here are some pics from inside of one that hadn't been too badly messed with.

All three of the ones I've done conformed pretty closely to the schematic I posted earlier.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X