Roland XP30 schem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roland XP30 schem

Anyone got a service manual or the schematics for a Roland XP30? Specifically, there is an SMT component on the mainboard right behind the headphone jack that sheared off when the keyboard was dropped and pushed the jack in, breaking it. It was nowhere to be found rattling around inside once I took it apart. The keyboard only works through the left(mono) channel now, and only through the left earpiece of the phones once I replaced the jack with a new one.

I can use it live mono, but would really like to have the option for stereo operation for recording. (It has some very nice Hammond/Leslie tones with the "Keyboards of the 60's/70's" expansion card in it.)

Thanks,

Brad1

Originally posted by Brad1 View Post
    Anyone got a service manual or the schematics for a Roland XP30? Specifically, there is an SMT component on the mainboard right behind the headphone jack that sheared off when the keyboard was dropped and pushed the jack in, breaking it. It was nowhere to be found rattling around inside once I took it apart. The keyboard only works through the left(mono) channel now, and only through the left earpiece of the phones once I replaced the jack with a new one.

I can use it live mono, but would really like to have the option for stereo operation for recording. (It has some very nice Hammond/Leslie tones with the "Keyboards of the 60's/70's" expansion card in it.)

Thanks,

Brad1

Sehd me your e-mail and I will try to help you

Comment

Update...fixed.

First of all, thanks Doctor.

I don't remember if it was you that sent me the particular circuit, or got me in touch with the British Roland guy who emailed the entire service manual, but it was helpful, either way.

The initial problems were some broken keys, a dislodged headphone jack (rattling around) that also sheared off an SMT component (which I later discovered was an inductor) and no output from right channel. I got it from someone who was going to throw it away, and paid just $5 for it. (I figured I could remove the expansion cards and resell those, if nothing else.)

So, I ordered the keys and the HP jack from Roland, and an inductor. Repaired all those, but still no right channel. (That's when I searched for the service manual, and finally found it).

So, I fiddled around for a day or so, then put it on the back burner for a while to clear my head and finish some other stuff.

Finally got back to it. There's a test mode that generates a sinewave left/squarewave right. It led to the aggravating complete ~50-screw removal of two boards and a bracket to get to the slider control board, which was buried. After reconnecting everything, sandwiching boards with static bags between them, and doing the 3-key + power diagnostics initialization (which was fun with the keys now on the bottom with the unit upside down), I traced the signal to the volume slider. Went in and out the left. Went in the right, but not out. Ohmed the slider. Left worked, right didn't.

Unsoldered and disassembled slider pot. The springy contacts on the right, which resemble something like a 3-finger claw, had gotten bent up away so they didn't contact. Bent them back with a dental pick to resemble the left, slapped it together, soldered it back in, reassembled the entire thing...and it's now a perfectly-working Roland, $5 initial investment, with about $40 worth of new parts.

Am thoroughly enjoying the fairly-convincing Hammond/Leslie sounds out of this thing, with that 'Keyboards of the 60's/70's' card in there.
      I can control the rotors (and ramp up/down) speeds with a footswitch, the frequency split, the stereo-width spread, reverb...all that. (The only thing they could have added was to be able to choose 'opposite rotation' on the rotor/drum split). Otherwise, some very cool sounds on this thing.

Thanks again,

Brad1

Comment

I am glad that you got it repaired.
        Nice detective work tracing it to the slider.
        Those contacts can get bent if the slider takes a good wack.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad1 View Post
          a dislodged headphone jack (rattling around) that also sheared off an SMT component (which I later discovered was an inductor)
          First, thank you for your post (and for following up with your fix).

I'm in a very similar situation - a friend dumped my XP30 a couple of years ago. A few days ago I finally had the heart to open it up to inspect the damage. It didn't look as bad as I feared (in my head the circuit board was cut in 2). Like yours it knocked the headphone jack clean off the main board and it was lose in the case. I don't recall if it powered up after the spill - weirdly I didn't even try when I buttoned it back up 2 days ago.

I've already ordered a replacement jack at Roland XP Series Keyboard Parts . $7 + $6 s/h... It's on the way.

Now - something interesting: You say you thought there was a component behind the jack that also sheered off (inductor). I thought the same thing which is the google that brought me here - and like you, i couldn't find it in the case. Figuring that it vanished somehow but I would replace it, I tried to figure out the specs of the missing part (also found service manual online). However, in looking for the specs of the inductor I noticed that the service manual says NIU (not in use) next to that part in the circuit diagram. And looking at a photo I took while it was open (my only moment of clarity) I'm seeing that that there are two more pads for inductors (also NIU) in the same area near that same jack. (these are listed as L42, L43, L44).

Based on what I saw I'm inclined to simply not worry about that part. Did you go ahead and add something here?

Also, I'm glad to read about the slider pot fix.

Comment

Working...
          X