X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kent A-160

Schematic anyone? Thanks!
    Originally posted by Enzo
    I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

I realize this thread is ancient, but last night I just found one I drew years ago and I was thinking I should offer it up to anyone interested.

I don't have a scanner working, but if anyone wants it I'll try to sort something out.

Andy

Comment

Please do.
      Absolute worst case, tape/tack ends to some cork/styrofoam board so it stands flat, prop it vertical on a table by a window or a well illuminated spot, put camera firmly on a stack of books pointing at the center of schematic, about center height and at distance enough (a foot or more) so schematic *just* fills picture and said picture will be quite close in quality to a proper scanning.
      Avoid flash so you donīt have a white burnt spot in the middle of picture or even better cover it with a couple thicknesses paper napkin so it *just* provides some fill in flash.
      Results can be stumming: even, sharp and readable..
      Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

I was thinking that should work. I'm really busy this week but I'll try to get a good photo and put it up soon.

Andy

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2986.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	1.12 MB
ID:	844625

Comment

Sorry that's so dark. I could try again now that I've sort of figured out how to attach an image. Digital things, I'll admit, are not my thing.

A few things seem weird about that schematic, but as far as I know it's correct 'as found.' The OT secondary is not right though, when I got it it was a little head made out of 1/4 plywood and cloth tape. I turned it into a 2 x 10 combo about 25 years ago. I'll have to check the original OT, I believe it has 8 and 16 ohm on the secondary. I have a Deluxe Reverb unit in there at the moment with different speakers. Sorry I don't have the pot values, but I'd imagine they are what you'd expect. The 68k as the input grid leak seems weird; I have had a 1M there for a long time so I can't verify if that was what was there.

It's a neat little amp; it says 'Made in Canada,' so possibly made by Pepco. I've seen Kent guitars which were all made in Japan by Teisco, and this did contain a lot of Japanese capacitors, but it doesn't appear to be a Teisco amp.

Andy

Comment

"Tweaked"
              Click image for larger version

Name:	Kent A-160.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	272.6 KB
ID:	844627
              "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Thanks Dude.

Comment

Lighted
                  Attached Files
                  It's All Over Now

Comment

I know this thread is old, but Bloomfield, thank you thank you thank you!!!! I have been trying to find a schematic for this amp for ages and finally found yours. I have been trying to dig through this amp to create my own, but I’m for too much of an amateur to pull it off.
                    Thank you!!!

Comment

What a professional looking drawing.
                      Nice work!

Comment

I know this is a really old thread, but with that schematic I finally know the impedance of the two speaker jacks. Unfortunately the amp was never labeled.
                        I’ve been told I can measure the resistance of each tap and the higher of the two is the 16ohm.
                        Bloomfield, any chance your still around and remember which speaker jacks is which?

Comment

Hi Steve, I got that transformer out and took a bunch of readings. The first thing I discovered was that the primaries are colour-coded wrong- or differently to be charitable- on mine at least, the brown wire is the centre tap, and blue and red are the plate leads. Putting in a 1000 Hz signal and going through the calculations, black to green seems to be the 8 ohm secondary at 7104 ohm primary impedance, and black to white at 16 ohms gives 7248 ohm primary which is well within the range expected for a pair of EL84. Hopefully that tells you what you need to know, if not PM me and I can show the rest of the numbers.

Happy New Year,
                          Andy

Comment

Andy that was perfect thanks a bunch. Luckily I was using an 8ohm speaker in the right speaker jacks, but that was just luck

Comment

Working...
                            X