No announcement yet.

Peavey CS 800 Blows fuse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wait, can we use a bit more specific language here? I am a little confused.

In post #26 you state that both channels work separately but not together, then in post #28 you say channel A works but nothing comes out of channel B. SO either both channels work or channel B does not. We can;t have both conditions.

And again in post #30 "both channels work when I flip flop them." WHat does that mean?

Specifically, are you saying that if you substitute the various boards or subassemblies from the dead channel B into the good channel A the A channel continues to work? SOmething else.

I am not trying to be difficult, but we cannot interchange the terms boards and channels here. SO if you mean the driver board and power transisrtor module from channel B will work if wired into the channel A section, I can follow that, but let us call them boards and assemblies then and not channels. otherwise we might have a sentence like "channel B works in channel A," which might be clear in someones head while writing it, but not very clear to someone reading it.

Or maybe i am just getting too old...

So I will assume for the moment you mean the driver and power amp boards seem to work wherever they are, but when good boards are in the B channel wiring, no sound results. I then have to look at the signal between the input jacks and the driver board.

The input jacks send the signal up front to the volume control board - the little sqyare board the volume control lives on. Then from there nack to the driver board. All that travel by way of shielded cables. How do you find signal? You use a scope or an AC volt meter.. Get a strong failry constant signal of some sort. A signal generator is perfect - apply a volt or so of some nice clean sine wave. 1000Hz is a sort of standard test signal. I prefer 100Hz for general testing because i can listen to 100Hz a hell of a lot longer than I can listen to 1000Hz. 400Hz is another common test signal. But all I care about is can your meter read the signal voltage on its AC volt scale. Most modern DMMs will read up to 400Hz pretty well.

Measre the voltage right at the input jack of he amp to get a baseline reading. About a volt is fine. No signal generator? I usually use a feed from my little shop stereo receiver tuned to music stations. The signal may not be steady, but you can still see it on your meter. The volume control is a common thing. so is the signal present at the top leg of it? Top in the non ground end sense, not physically the top in the amp. The turning the pot up, is the signal now on the wiper too - the center leg? Then look at the schematic, follow the line from the wiper of the volume pot over to the first op amp. You can't measure at the op amp input pin, but is signal at the output pin? and the output of the next op amp?
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Sorry for the confusion Enzo,but your diagnosis is correct.I have a Triplet DMM about 6 years old,should do the trick.Now is time to perform those checks that you recommended...can't get to it until Friday after work.Will keep you posted.

Comment

Hi Enzo.Started doing those signal checks you suggested.A spark occured and as a result input board B causes my lithtbulb limiter to pulse.Any ideas please.Thank you.

Comment

If you shorted something out, then it is hard to say what is happening. Whatever you were measuring on would be the most likely thing to have been damaged by your spark.
          Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

What do you think would most likely cause the limiter to pulse...a cap not holding charge or a tran switching prematurely or a faulty diode allowing flow in wrong direction only when in circuit.Checked the only tran on the board..seems fine..

Comment

I have one that was given to me in '86 and it had shorted output transistors in both modules. I think a driver was shorted also. It probably had been plugged in to a bad load because these guys weren't savy on impedance and dead shorts, etc.

I repaired it from around $125 in parts and it has been on for the last ten years as my subwoofer amp on my surround sound system.

And Peavey support is the best! In fact I would say they are the best I have dealt with.
              ..Joe L

Comment

Did you repair the amp yourself.Any ideas on my last post

Comment

Originally posted by arambharose View Post
                  Did you repair the amp yourself.Any ideas on my last post
                  Yes, I did it myself. If I remember correctly, I used a Huntron Tracker to quickly identify the bad silicon. I brought it up with a variac and it worked first shot.

When you say the channels don't work together, what do you mean? Does it blow a fuse immediately? If so, the triac is probably firing to keep DC off your speakers. Remove any load and remove the triacs and see if it will power up and if any DC is present on the output. If so, the triacs are doing their job and you still have a leaking transistor.

At this point you will at least be able to check some voltages. Compare the two channels together and if there are any differences, go from there.
                  ..Joe L

Comment

Hi Enzo.Started doing those signal checks you suggested.A spark occured and as a result input board B causes my lithtbulb limiter to pulse.Any ideas please.Thank you.
                    Back to square one!
                    Verify that both output boards work.
                    Narrow it down to which board is bad.
                    (It sounds like you did that. The driver board?)

Comment

What is a Huntron Tracker..never heard of it.Channel A works fine....Channel B only works when I flip flop it with Channel A wiring.I narrowed down the problem to the input board on channel on channel B.I flipped some of the components from channel A input board to channel B input board....so far no luck.I would appreciate any ideas.

Comment

By input board are we meaning the board the volume control is soldered to?

Comment

What is a Huntron Tracker..never heard of it.
                          This link is a great explanation of what it is.

Great timesaver if you do a lot of board level troubleshooting.
                          ..Joe L

Comment

That's correct

Comment

Thanks Joe.Will check it out.

Comment

BTW, you still haven't defined "doesn't work".
                                ..Joe L

Comment

Working...
                                X