Peavey 5150 Head schematic- has 4 relays NOT 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peavey 5150 Head schematic- has 4 relays NOT 3

Greetings, It's a 5150 head with Edie Van Halen signature on the front. It has 4 relays in a row on the preamp board. The Post Gain controls will not fully shut the volume down. The Pre Gain/Vol work normal. But the amps Post Gain/vol control turned all the way down, the amp is still loud. I need the circuit board lay out with part numbers so I could check voltages/parts with it running... thx

5150/6505 all the same, no difference between "block letter" and "signature" other than the decorations on the cabinet.

Was there some confusion over the number of relays?

I doubt you have a voltage issue. If your post control won;t turn it down, then most likely either the control is open or it has lost the ground connection at its low end. Does the control adjust the volume at all? When you are on the ultra channel, the post doesn't work right, right? But does the clean post control have any effect on the ultra level? And for that matter, when you are on clean, does the ultra post affect the volume in any way?

Check the control itself for opens or loss of ground.
    Attached Files
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

The schematic/layout for the 5150 II shows 3 relays

So the 6505 has 4 relays?? The same as mine? Thx for the schematic. I'll check the pots.

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
      5150/6505 all the same, no difference between "block letter" and "signature" other than the decorations on the cabinet.

Was there some confusion over the number of relays?

I doubt you have a voltage issue. If your post control won;t turn it down, then most likely either the control is open or it has lost the ground connection at its low end. Does the control adjust the volume at all? When you are on the ultra channel, the post doesn't work right, right? But does the clean post control have any effect on the ultra level? And for that matter, when you are on clean, does the ultra post affect the volume in any way?

Check the control itself for opens or loss of ground.

Comment

Eddie Van Halen owns the 5150 trademark. He and Peavey had an agreement, he would allow use of his trademark and name, and Peavey would design, build, and market this monster amp. Eventually, the trademark agreement expired, and Eddie moved on. That meant that Peavey could no longer use the 5150 name. They didn;t want to have to stop making the wonderful and popular amplifier, so they changed the model name to 6505. (Company started in 1965 and was celebrating 40th anniversary in 2005, so 6505) That was the ONLY thing they changed. The 6505 IS the 5150. Only thing different is the name on the front.

The 5150-II is not the same as 5150, and the 5150-II became the 6505+. 6505 and 6505+ are therefore not the same as each other. If you have a 5150, you cannot use the 5150-2 drawings. The 5150/6505 has four relays across the middle. The 5150-2/6505+ has three across the middle, but there is also a fourth right up by the panel.
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Working...
        X