Schematic needed for Line6 Spider Valve HD100 DSP board

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Schematic needed for Line6 Spider Valve HD100 DSP board

I am in need of the schematic for a Line6 Spider Valve HD100, particularly, the DSP board. The 3.3V supply is reading close to 0 volts and the LCD display shows all dark squares. When I substitute an external 3.3V, the system boots and runs as it should. What is the physical appearance (form factor) of the 3.3V regulator? Then, where can I purchase a couple NJM2872BF33 chips? Mouser can order, if you buy 3,000!
    Thanks!
    Last edited by RMD; 09-23-2013, 08:51 PM.

I don't have a schematic, but this is a common problem with those boards. I've repaired several by replacing the regulator with a higher current device. It seems to get very hot and shut down. You'll notice you can't touch it with your fingers after only a short time. You'll also notice that they use an aluminum standoff for a heat sink. After replacing the regulator, I install a longer standoff (or several small ones) giving the heat sink more mass to take more heat away from the regulator itself. I haven't had one come back yet (knock on wood).
    "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

This supplier has them.
      Link: NJM2872BF33?TE1) | Power management IC | Switching regulator | New Japan Radio (JRC) - chip one stop
      Here is a link to the datasheet.
      Link: New Japan Radio - datasheet pdf

Comment

Ahhh,....yes. Just looked at the data sheet. That is not the regulator I was referring to. I don't have a schematic or an amp in the shop to look at right now, but the regulator I was referring to is a TO220 package regulator. It might be the 5V regulator and the 3.3 is derived from it? Sorry, I don't recall. It's possible you have an entirely different problem, but what I see normally on this amp is that the regulator with the standoff heat sink is the cause of the problem.
        "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Yeah, in my amp the 3.3 volts comes from a surface mount, 5-pin IC the size of a chip resistor. Should be real fun to replace using my 48 year-old eyes! I found a suitable replacement (at least I hope it is) at Mouser; it's a TI chip, TPS70933DBVR. 3.3VDC, 150mA, LDO in an itty-bitty package. In stock, and less than a buck a piece.
          Thank you.
          The original regulator by New Japan Radio was proving hard to find.
          Last edited by RMD; 09-25-2013, 03:06 PM. Reason: clarifying

Comment

Originally posted by RMD View Post
            Yeah, in my amp the 3.3 volts comes from a surface mount, 5-pin IC the size of a chip resistor. Should be real fun to replace using my 48 year-old eyes! I found a suitable replacement (at least I hope it is) at Mouser; it's a TI chip, TPS70933DBVR. 3.3VDC, 150mA, LDO in an itty-bitty package. In stock, and less than a buck a piece.
            Thank you.
            The original regulator by New Japan Radio was proving hard to find.
            Well done, RMD. You deserve a gift.
            Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for that, Doctor! I'll check it out.
              Rob

Comment

As an update, since installing the new 3.3V regulator (TPS70933DBVR), the amp is now working. Not at first though. After replacing the voltage regulator, (major PITA, btw, because of the SMT miniature size) I powered up the amp and saw...
                eight black boxes in the LCD as was the original condition. Darn it! I checked the 3.3V rail and saw a floating-looking 2.2 or so volts. Turns out that the solder connection on pin2 (GND) of the 3.3V regulator chip I had just replaced wasn't actually touching the solder pad of the PCB. To the eye the solder looked reasonable., with a magnifier it still looked good, but when I measured pin2 with respect to ground - no continuity. The solder was really floating ever-so-slightly above the solder pad. This surface mount stuff is just too small to reliably see, at least for me. Reheated, re-flowed, and got that pin shorted to ground like I wanted. Now all is good and the amp runs at it should. Next, I will be putting the amp though all functions, then performing a load test to see what kind of power she's really capable of, and with what amount of distortion. I cannot quantify the distortion absolutely, but I can visualize the signal across the dummy load using an oscilloscope. I have found this to be a valuable step in order to have confidence that an amplifier is performing as it should. Making really loud sounds is not all that a player may be trying to achieve.
                Thanks for all the input. See you around these forums!
                Rob

Comment

Working...
                X