Ibanez SR375ENNB bass schematic ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ibanez SR375ENNB bass schematic ?

A customer would like to buy an Ibanez SR375ENNB if I can add a selector to choose active or passive mode. Looks like a terrific 5 string, with 3-band EQ. The potential buyer has tried one and found it very much to his liking, very affordable too. Inquiries to Ibanez go unanswered. I understand this is a current issue instrument and Ibanez probably wants to keep their "secret circuitry" under wraps, no surprise there. A peek at the schemo would quickly reveal whether an active/passive switch is practical or not.

Switching to passive mode would have to leave the balance & volume pots in place, while one of the EQ pots serves as a tone control while the other two would have no function. My fear is that such a modification would be invasive and expensive, meaning impractical and best not attempted.

Thanks in advance for any info!

This isn't the future I signed up for.

So you have to wonder what the heck this guy is after, don't you?
    Active is active.
    From earlier models it is plain to see that the tone control is part of the active circuitry.
    http://www2.ibanez.com/supportResour...008/EQB_3B.pdf
    He's looking at a major butcher job.

Comment

Originally posted by Jazz P Bass View Post
      So you have to wonder what the heck this guy is after, don't you?
      Active is active.
      From earlier models it is plain to see that the tone control is part of the active circuitry.
      http://www2.ibanez.com/supportResour...008/EQB_3B.pdf
      He's looking at a major butcher job.
      I expect that's the case. Some active systems do allow for a bypass. When I was working with T-Bone Wolk he had a Sadowsky P-J bass that had such a system, and for live use he always chose the passive. When I asked him did he ever use the active circuit, "only for some studio work" was the answer. Good sounding bass, either way. Though it did have a way big slabby neck that eventually got shaved down. On that bass, the hi freq EQ became the tone control, and the bass EQ did nothing, when passive was selected. Yes, I expect, if it's engineered for active/passive, no problem. If not, such a conversion would likely be a headache to say the least.
      This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Isn't is usually that you can bypass an active EQ section if the bass has passive pickups, but if the pickups themselves are active they won't have enough output without the preamp? My 84 Ibanez Musician has active 3 band EQ and a passive/active switch and in passive mode you get no tone control at all, but I'm sure it could be rigged to have a single high cut when in passive mode.

Comment

Working...
        X