Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

M-audio EX66 strange Capacitor name or type?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M-audio EX66 strange Capacitor name or type?

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_51749.jpg
Views:	624
Size:	4.24 MB
ID:	913008 Click image for larger version

Name:	2020-09-07 15.25.17.jpg
Views:	465
Size:	2.61 MB
ID:	913010
    Hi, i have this old m-audio ex66 that has a distortion problem.
    i think i figure out the problem but i don't the name of the type smd capacitor or witch value it should be.
    its the gray one that my tweezers are on. you can see 4 more more on the board.
    it's very soft, melts and breaks down very easy with the solder iron, its not like other smd capacitor that are hard.
    try a regular smd capacitor and its giving me strange noise, so i think it need's that type capacitor.
    i have some other parts of m audio but i can't seem to find it in any of the ones i have
    try looking for schematic couldn't fine one, so if any body has it please let me know
    thank you
    Attached Files

It's probably polystyrene, they are chosen for their excellent characteristics. And yes, they will melt if you put a soldering iron on them so never do that. It almost certainly wasn't your problem and without knowing the value I'm afraid you're not in a good place. You can try contacting them and asking for more info.
    Experience is something you get, just after you really needed it.

Comment

hey thank you,
      yeah reading more about polystyrene, i think you are right.
      I got some info from M-audio, but still waiting on the value from them.
      I was able to remove one of the polystyrene cap it without destroy it, with the hot air station.
      So i have one working again.
      But thanks for the help, i am one step forward

Comment

I'm glad you heard something from them. My secret weapon for soldering these caps is to use lead free low temperate solder Sn 42% / Bi 57% / Ag 1% type 4902P by MG Chemicals. It melts at 138C.

Comment

From what I've read about polystyrene caps I always thought they were not suitable for SMT, e.g. https://www.electrocube.com/pages/wh...ors-data-sheet or
          https://www.electronics-notes.com/ar...olystyrene.php or http://my.execpc.com/~endlr/film.html
          There is good reason that the leads of PS caps are typically very thin.

Are there current manufactures of SMD polystyrene caps?
          Last edited by Helmholtz; 09-14-2020, 09:31 PM.
          - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Yeah Helmholtz i see what you mean.
            i don't know if there are any current manufactures of SMD polystyrene caps.
            looking o the internet i can't seem to find any. If not i will try putting a regular one on it see if it work.
            But i am still waiting on the value from M-audio.
            I talk to the owner and he understand, wants see if it can fix before buying a new one.
            but thanks for the help

Comment

It's kinda funny, I guess being brought up with polystyrene caps, whenever I'd seen these I had just assumed they too were polystyrene simply because they melt so easily. I see that a substitute is available, thanks HH. I have used acrylic SMD caps in some cases.
              Last edited by nickb; 09-19-2020, 04:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by nickb View Post
                It's kinda funny, I guess being brought up with polystyrene caps, whenever I'd seen these I had just assumed they too were polystyrene simply because the melt so easily. I see that a substitute is available, thank HH. I have used acrylic SMD caps in some cases.
                My colleagues who designed automotive electronics favored polyphenylene sulfide (PPS) SMD caps for demanding applications.
                https://www.wima.de/en/our-product-r...of-dielectric/
                Last edited by Helmholtz; 09-19-2020, 05:25 PM.
                - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Working...
                X