Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tempo by Univox 5 watt, 3 input

Like so: https://reverb.com/item/30601794-196...mplifier-japan

I can't find anything on these, and so I don't spend a couple hours tracing and drawing this thing out... Anybody got this by chance?

I don't, but it looks like a pretty simple amp. Two hours? I hope that includes a sandwich...I have stacks of hand drawn schematics.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
      I don't, but it looks like a pretty simple amp. Two hours? I hope that includes a sandwich...I have stacks of hand drawn schematics.
      Maybe a slight exaggeration, but eh. The layout is weird and not at all what I'm used to - and PCB amps don't bother me, most of the time.
      Last edited by DFuller; 11-24-2020, 10:18 PM.

Comment

If you can, post photos of the PCB, both sides

Comment

It looks like a pair of preamp tubes and probably a SE EL84 output configuration from the pics. You could help us by at least stating the tube compliment. It probably wouldn't be difficult to find a similar amp schematic. Otherwise, I agree with Enzo, it shouldn't take too long to draw it up.
          "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Originally posted by dmeek View Post
            If you can, post photos of the PCB, both sides
            Sure thing.
            Apologies, they're rather large.

Comment

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
              It looks like a pair of preamp tubes and probably a SE EL84 output configuration from the pics. You could help us by at least stating the tube compliment. It probably wouldn't be difficult to find a similar amp schematic. Otherwise, I agree with Enzo, it shouldn't take too long to draw it up.
              1 12AX7, 1 6AV6, and a 1 6AQ5. Controls are (from left to right, with the pot casings facing you): Tremolo depth, speed, bass, treble, and volume. From the tracing I've done so far it looks like half the 12AX7 is for the preamp, half is (I believe) for the tremolo oscillator, and the 6AV6 is the driver.

Comment

I think Enzo may try to sell you a napkin.
                Originally posted by Enzo
                I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Oh well foo... I was guessing 6C4, but I got the other two.

Any chance a bright light shines through the board? That would reveal the traces while looking at the parts. Even so it won't be hard, but...
                  Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Maybe similar to this sans the tube rectifier?

https://www.prowessamplifiers.com/sc...Univox_U45.jpg

Comment

I would guess not very different.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
                        Oh well foo... I was guessing 6C4, but I got the other two.

Any chance a bright light shines through the board? That would reveal the traces while looking at the parts. Even so it won't be hard, but...
                        Tried that, unfortunately no. This amp is strange though. So far as I can tell, there's only one rectifier diode in the whole amp (which is hidden by the can cap - it's what that black wire from the PT connects to), unless I'm really looking right at diodes and not seeing them.

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
                        Maybe similar to this sans the tube rectifier?

https://www.prowessamplifiers.com/sc...Univox_U45.jpg
                        Yes, similar for sure. Some different component values here and there, plus the tonestack instead of a tone control, but overall not super different, so far as I can tell...
                        Last edited by DFuller; 11-25-2020, 12:53 AM. Reason: not double posting

Comment

It's probably cathode biased, so no bias supply. It could very well be built with a single rectifier, although I'd not expect that on a SE amp.

Comment

Drew out most of the circuit (minus the tone and tremolo controls)... I think someone has tweaked the circuit, because there's a pad missing a wire that has solder on it. But, that's around the tonestack, so not included here.

Comment

Originally posted by DFuller View Post
                              So far as I can tell, there's only one rectifier diode in the whole amp (which is hidden by the can cap - it's what that black wire from the PT connects to), unless I'm really looking right at diodes and not seeing them.
                              If you mean under the cap there, then maybe there are 2 of them? Very strange.

Click image for larger version

Name:	diodes.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	30.1 KB
ID:	919052

Originally posted by Enzo
                              I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Working...
                              X