• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Links to Warwick Schematics

Warwick Wamp800 Wamp800 M.PDF

Wow!!! That is a COMPLEX amp!!!!!
    Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Thought I'd better share it for posterity.
      Got one in for repair at the moment, owner complaining of some of the pushbuttons not functioning correctly.
      At first I believed that some of these buttons were momentary, others latching - there was a certain symmetry to the ones that didn't latch - functions would engage for roughly a second before disengaging, which I'd assumed was a problem with some switching logic circuit, so I shot an email off to Warwick and they got back to me very promptly, not something I get very often.
      But of course, as soon as I got the amp open (after tracking down a tiny T5 torx driver to remove the tiny annoying EQ fader fasteners!) I realised that the switches were all supposed to be latching, but that mechanism had failed on a number of them, the apparent symmetry was just a coincidence.
      Weird footprint, wasn't able to find a matching one at any of my normal suppliers, but found some that have a slightly wider pitch, should fit in the oversized PCB through-holes with maybe a tiny bend required on the pins. If they work out I'll update this thread with the part number for anyone else who encounters the same problem - these switches seem like the weak point in an otherwise reasonably constructed amp.

Comment

Alright, the original switches had a pitch of 5x3.5mm (6 pins, so 2.5mm betwen throws and common, 3.5mm between rows). I wasn't able to find any that matched, but had some leftover APEM MHPS2266, 4x4.5mm (2mm between throws and common, 4.5mm between rows). These switches are significantly shorter than the originals, 10.5mm with the switch in the "out" position vs the 13mm of the originals, but bending the pins a little they made it into the original through-holes and were an appropriate distance above the board for the original switchcaps to project through the front panel. Any other switches I found that matched the originals height-wise had a wider pitch between rows so would have sit too high above the board with the pins bent to fit.

Not an ideal situation, but you make do with what's available.

Comment

Working...
        X