Requesting Kitty Hawk M5 45W Combo Physical Schematic/Gut Shots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Requesting Kitty Hawk M5 45W Combo Physical Schematic/Gut Shots

The Long and Short of it is this: I just got a Kitty Hawk M5 45 Watt Combo Amp. I got to hear it for about 10 minutes, total, before there was a pop, continuous crackling, and no sound. I'm currently in the process of troubleshooting, but the only reference material I have to base anything off of is the single, hand drawn M5 logical schematic (for a 15 Watt, I might add) that has been floating around back-alley gear forums for the past decade or better. I might not even be asking for help, except that I'm about as proficient in reading logical schematics as I am breadboarding pedals; which is to say, not very. Any assistance, whether in the form of suggestions as to what the problem/solution might be.

Two final pieces of information that seem pertinent: 1. Whoever owned the amp prior to me deemed it worth the effort and potential fire hazard to epoxy the Slo Blo fuse (2A) holder after it broke, which means that while one fuse cap is nice and snug (and without any real connection to speak of), the rest of the fuse comes out. I'll be replacing the holder and fuse tonight. 2. As embarassing as it is to admit, after I bought a matched quartet of 6v6S JJ tubes and 3 EH 12AX7/ECC83, in my excitement to play through the amp, I only installed 3 of the 4 6v6's. Now, I have seen amp techs turn amps on without all valves seated, so I don't know how that would've been enough to damage anything, but I've worked with electronics long enough to know that Murphy enforces their Law HARD in this particular town.

Thanks again, and if replacing the fuse/fuse holder fixes the issue, I'll update this tonight.

It would be better to discuss repair in the repair forum. This is the schematic request forum.

Comment

Running with only 3 of 4 power tubes should not have damaged anything (assuming you were not running it flat out).
      The crackling to me suggests the power amp section is working.
      A good place to start might be to check DC voltages at plate and cathode of preamp tubes, which would be pins 1,3,6, and 8.
      Originally posted by Enzo
      I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Hi, This may help a bit. Drawn some 25 years ago, when Kitty Hawks ruled. Will ​ have errors
        John

Comment

What do you mean with "logical schematic?
          - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Originally posted by John G View Post
            Hi, This may help a bit. Drawn some 25 years ago, when Kitty Hawks ruled. Will ​ have errors
            John
            No attachment showing.

- Own Opinions Only -

Comment

http://www.kittyhawkamps.com/schaltplaene.html

Comment

This time............................. Click image for larger version

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	189.2 KB
ID:	992490 Click image for larger version

Name:	002.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	197.6 KB
ID:	992491

Comment

Working...
                X