Amp that uses 6AQ5 tubes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amp that uses 6AQ5 tubes?

Do you guys know if there is a guitar amp that uses 6AQ5 miniature 7 pin output beam tetrode tubes?

6AQ5 amp

There are a few. Gibson Scout 17-RVT uses 6AQ5 with 305v on the plates.

With respect, Tubenit

Comment

6AQ5 output tubes

The Gibson Crestline GA-5 Skylark amps use 6AQ5's in pairs.

Comment

6AQ5

This is a version of DaGeezer's Little Wing amp that originally used 6BM8 tubes. I drew up this schematic but never got around to building the amp.

I have a layout for it also.

Should use a 270 ohm cathode resistor for the 6AQ5's, I think. (per Gibson schematics)

With respect, Tubenit
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Tubenit; 06-08-2009, 12:30 PM.

Comment

6AQ5 Blues Amp

Ok, I also found another schematic that I drew up some time ago and have built as an amp. It has a layout with it also.

I think the value on the cathode attenuation resistor may be incorrect? I may need to be 540 ohms for each one individually? (or something close to that?)

With respect, Tubenit
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Tubenit; 06-08-2009, 12:31 PM.

Comment

56T with 6AQ5

I built the 56T with EL84's. It's perhaps the most touch sensitive amp I've played? I think a version of it could be done with 6AQ5's, but have not built one.

Check for errors in the schematic.

With respect, Tubenit
            Attached Files

Comment

The early versions of Fender's Musicmaster Bass amp used 6AQ5's. Very nice amps!

Comment

Micro Champ

Adam Alpern has one with a single 12A_7 and single 6AQ5. I built one and connected it to a Weber 8" speaker and called it a harp amp. It sounded good to me.
                Attached Files

Comment

The Gibson GA5T (first 'Crest' version) used twin 6AQ5s as did the Guild 66J. There's also a drop-in substitute, the 6005. J

Comment

Gentlemen , we tried a SE 6AQ5 amp with the 6U8 preamp , http://www.wattkins.com/node/15993 ... The amp sounded good , but had a somewhat "ratty quality" to the tone...tried many changes , no luck ... even went with higher V PT ... same thing ??? ... You guys have any idea what could be causing that ???

Comment

OK, we're now working on a 6AQ5 PP amp ... Looking for a suitable PT to supply the necessary 250-275 V at the plates... You guys have any preference ???

Comment

Amp that uses 6AQ5 tubes?

Here's a thread discussing a 6aq5-based tweed deluxe type clone that I built a while back. . . .

http://music-electronics-forum.com/t12663/

Comment

Reason Amps Bambino....very nice btw...k, not exactly vintage, but interesting.

Comment

just stumbled on this thread and thought I'd add my 2 cents:
                            The Excelsior Model 10 used a pair of 6bq5's. I think the tube lineup was 6AU6, 2-12AX7's, 2-6BQ5's, and a 5Y3. The amp had 3 inputs, 1 channel, volume,tone, tremolo with speed and intensity. Good little amp.

Comment

Originally posted by davohilts View Post
                              just stumbled on this thread and thought I'd add my 2 cents:
                              The Excelsior Model 10 used a pair of 6bq5's. I think the tube lineup was 6AU6, 2-12AX7's, 2-6BQ5's, and a 5Y3. The amp had 3 inputs, 1 channel, volume,tone, tremolo with speed and intensity. Good little amp.
                              Yes, but his original question was regarding 6AQ5 tubes, not 6BQ5/El84 tubes.
                              Should be a simple mod to use the 7 pin socket though.... similar enough.
                              Bruce

Mission Amps
                              Denver, CO. 80022
                              www.missionamps.com
                              303-955-2412

Comment

Working...
                              X