Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New 5e3 build, faint sound..

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 0/0
    Given: 0/0
    Hey Bruce,
    I actually pulled the board yesterday, and re-checked everything under the board.
    I cant find anything wrong with the circuit. Is there a way to check the caps and OT?
    Thanks!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Thumbs Up/Down
    Thanks for everyone's help, great board.
    I found a bad capacitor.
    It sounds incredible!
    Now for that 18 watt...

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 2,031/4
    Given: 2,323/0
    It's kinda like when your car breaks down. You find the problem but the car still won't run!?! It's because some other non obvious thing is wrong in conjunction with the main issue. You eventually find it, get back on the road and rationalize that even though you don't know everything about mechanics, you knew enough (and had enough confidence in yourself and your work/understanding) to look for something other than your own failings.

Kudos

Chuck

Thumbs Up/Down
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce / Mission Amps View Post
    Is it one of my kits and if so did you download the 110 megabyte photo album builder guide work?
    I'd review the input jack's lugs vs the 1M resistors and the middle switch lug to be sure they are correct.
    With no 1/4" phone plug inserted into any of the jack, the two grids of the preamp tube are at very very low potential and should be very quiet unless the preamp tube is bad.
    Bruce,

It's actually not one of your kits. I think I have ground issues, and that is what is causing my noise problems. I get the most noise when I use channel 1, so I thought you V1 grid test might help determine if I was correct (about grounding issues). My lead dress is less than stellar, and that may be part of the problem. With enough exploration, I'll find my problem. Except for the noise, the amp sounds great.

Thumbs Up/Down
    For those of you lurking here in preparation for a 5E3 build...buy your kit from Bruce! I can't think of any reason not to.

His parts are top quality, his technical support and customer service is exceptional.

I know this because I bought his kit. It was my first build and it worked the first time I flipped the switch.

Thumbs Up/Down
    VJF,
    While I have no problem with your statement, my kit was fine too. I do believe having a manual would have helped, though.
    I would still be waiting for my kit instead of playing my new amp - if I ordered from Mission. I called them 1st, I think it was a 3 week wait, same with Weber. Fair enough...
    Anyone could have sent me a bad part. I will also say that all the companies were responsive to my initial email.
    Bruce is way more visible here, and I think that is fantastic.
    The support at Triode was great, and the pricing was fair as well.
    Funny thing is, I think I learned much more because I had an issue.
    Really not sure about where I will get my next kit, but the "lag" time will matter once again. I am actually considering using multiple suppliers, and going scratch.
    Cheers

Thumbs Up/Down
    Quote Originally Posted by 01bcat View Post
    I am actually considering using multiple suppliers, and going scratch.
    If you plan to clone again I say go with a kit. Someone else has already sourced all the right parts and probably spec'd correct trannies that you either can't find or will cost twice as much as individual units. And think of all the shipping charges if you buy your faceplate from Mojo, trannies from AES, speaker from Parts Express, components from Mouser etc. You won't find everything you want in one place without some compromises. If you plan to build a design of your own then it's the only way to go though. Either way you'll spend easily twice what you would on a kit and no tech support (well, other than here )

Chuck

Thumbs Up/Down
    True that Chuck.. But I want to at least give it a shot. Although it is nice knowing you are getting all the right parts, I think a scratch build may be a good challenge.

I may go back to kits, but I am really interested in the building, not "just" the amp. I think I have the Bug...

I also think it will prove itself out when I do the pricing, and crunch the numbers (sounds like you may have already)?
    Cheers..

Thumbs Up/Down
    True that Chuck.. But I want to at least give it a shot. Although it is nice knowing you are getting all the right parts, I think a scratch build may be a good challenge.

I may go back to kits, but I am really interested in the building, not "just" the amp. I think I have the Bug...
    Welcome, brother

I also think it will prove itself out when I do the pricing, and crunch the numbers (sounds like you may have already)?
    Cheers..
    True that. I build original designs. Recently for a big cootie in the biz. So far the pay is lousy The amps sound great but in this economy there's not as much room for hand wired amps and "boutique" designs as there was five years ago. I've been shelved in favor of a Chinese factory model Great experience though. I still do consulting and actually counceled in favor of the budget product to remain honest.

But I am speaking (writing) from experience when I speak about prototyping costs. What you propose should be similar. Very rewarding though, if your pockets can take it.

Chuck

Thumbs Up/Down

Hmmm.... Chinese made factory model? I will take a stab that it is an EL84 amp..
    I would be afraid to do original designs until I sold quite a few "borrowed" ones, based on amps people know and possibly always wanted, but can't get now - for a reasonable price anyway. It seems like that is the best way to get started. If you punch the chassis (what is the plural of chassis?) yourself, and make the cabs, you could possibly make a few bucks per unit?
    Do you have a brand name for your amps (pm me if you feel it is more appropriate)?
    Now if I could just figure out how to make those transformers.....

Thumbs Up/Down
    @ 01bcat-

I just finished my first amp build which is also a Triode kit. I choose Triode because I live nearby and also because the layout was very similar to the original. Customer service has been great, but nothing like the presence I have seen from Bruce on this forum. I am also having trouble with my amp, as I initially had my output tubes (12AX7 & 12AY7) wired exactly opposite (wires to pin 1 were to pin 9 and so forth). I have since fixed that problem, but now it is cutting out when I give a lot of bass input. I also feel like that I have learned more because of my failures. I defiantly plan on building another amp as soon as possible (thinking 5F1 Champ) but shipping is what kills you when ordering from multiple suppliers. I did stumble upon Tubesandmore.com which offers free shipping on orders of $100 or more, which I have not seen anywhere else (especially for heavy items like the speaker). I just put all the build parts minus the speaker, chassis, and cab in my shopping cart for just under $200. I'm torn however on whether to spend the extra money on a chromed out chassis or to make one myself and use a faceplate.

Thumbs Up/Down
    I initially had my output tubes (12AX7 & 12AY7) wired exactly opposite (wires to pin 1 were to pin 9 and so forth).

What kit did you build? A 5e3? They would have 2 6v6's as power tubes ( I am sure you meant pre-amp and PI). There are other folks on this forum who can help here, but the amp cutting out with the pots wired right could be a parasitic oscellation. The bass response with the p12q speaker can be a little flubby though.
    PM me if you want, do you have any pic's ofthe build?
    Also I picked up my kit at triode, saves a little $$$

Thumbs Up/Down
    Thanks for everyone's help, great board.
    I found a bad capacitor.
    It sounds incredible!
    Now for that 18 watt...
    Which capacitor was it? The suspense is killing me.

I have just built a Deluxe, and it's having problems identical to yours..

Thumbs Up/Down
    Quote Originally Posted by EllArr View Post
    Which capacitor was it? The suspense is killing me.

I have just built a Deluxe, and it's having problems identical to yours..
    I think it was a mallory coupling cap. It was a while ago... Also check the board - make sure your resistors are connected in the right places..
    Good luck on the build.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 8/3
    Given: 172/14
    Quote Originally Posted by vjf View Post
    For those of you lurking here in preparation for a 5E3 build...buy your kit from Bruce! I can't think of any reason not to.

His parts are top quality, his technical support and customer service is exceptional.

I know this because I bought his kit. It was my first build and it worked the first time I flipped the switch.
    Ditto - have built 3 of these - two from Bruce - and his advice and support was tremendous. There will always be a few stupid little errors when you are building, he will help figure it all out.

Senior Hollow State Tech Bruce / Mission Amps's Avatar
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 7/0
    I have built at least 150 to 160 tweed amps over the last few years... I still make bone headed mistakes... and I still like it.

Bruce

Mission Amps
    Denver, CO. 80022
    www.missionamps.com
    303-955-2412

Senior Hollow State Tech Bruce / Mission Amps's Avatar
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 7/0
    I have built at least 150 to 160 tweed amps over the last few years... I still make bone headed mistakes... and I still like it.

Bruce

Mission Amps
    Denver, CO. 80022
    www.missionamps.com
    303-955-2412

Thread Information