Ac 30 modification question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ac 30 modification question

CAN an AC30 be modified to USE THE TB CHANNEL AS AN EXTRA GAIN STAGE?...IOW CAN THE AMP CURCUIT BE altered to just have 1 (ONE) CHANNEL?...I Understand that the CUT CONTROL can be parralelled with a cap (RESISTOR)?... to make IT a MASTER VOLUME CONTROL...ANY IDEAS?

Originally posted by barnoyle View Post
    CAN an AC30 be modified to USE THE TB CHANNEL AS AN EXTRA GAIN STAGE?...IOW CAN THE AMP CURCUIT BE altered to just have 1 (ONE) CHANNEL?...I Understand that the CUT CONTROL can be parralelled with a cap (RESISTOR)?... to make IT a MASTER VOLUME CONTROL...ANY IDEAS?
    Yeah, three.
    1. Think about getting a different amp
    2. Use a clean boost pedal
    3. See #1
    Bruce

Mission Amps
    Denver, CO. 80022
    www.missionamps.com
    303-955-2412

Comment

Interesting idea. IF I were to attempt it, I'd try something like this.

I built a Double C amp a while back that sounded good to me. Maybe you could adapt the OD to the Vox AC30 idea.

Double C amp - Hoffman Ampifiers Guitar Tube amp forum

I presume this is NOT a vintage amp? IF it is, leave it original.

With respect, Tubenit
      Attached Files

Comment

Wow! Those poor cathode biased EL84s must get the crap beat out of them with all that gain!
        Bruce

Mission Amps
        Denver, CO. 80022
        www.missionamps.com
        303-955-2412

Comment

OH no...this is one of the 1st amps I built back when Doug Hoffman started his web site long ago (geez aging sucks don't it/)...anyway ...no trem.../ reverb...I got nice new "bundle" IRON from TRIODE / CHAD...GREAT TONE!...SO...skies the limit I guess...frank.

Comment

it sounds really killer with my modified DOD FX86B ...AND A "MK4.23 in front of that thru the normal channel where I'm loving the 4.7 uf bypass cap...frank.

Comment

Wow! Those poor cathode biased EL84s must get the crap beat out of them with all that gain!
              Well you have the "normal" clean AC30 channel going into essentially a single stage of gain (given the CF doesn't add much) that is controlled by both a trim and level pot. You could easily use a 5751, or a 12AY7 or a 12AV7 there without a problem.

And one could simply add a PPIMV after the LTPI (if needed) and before the power amp and get reasonable and controllable gain, IMO. So then you'd have a trim, level and PPIMV to protect the poor EL84 tubes.

With respect, Tubenit
              Attached Files

Comment

I do prefer pre phaseinverter MV over POST...COOL

Comment

HOLY CRACK...just to change the subject really quik...I just added the NEW "COBALT" ERNIe BALL STRINGS TO MY PAUL...WOW!...they are sweet!...10 guage.

Comment

Working...
                  X