One humbucker with 3-way switch/

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One humbucker with 3-way switch/

Hi, looking for a diagram with proper 3 way switch to wire a humbucker to use either coil independently and also get the humbucker in series. Anyone know how?

How many controls should be mentioned but
    Wiring Diagram
    shouldn't you be able to wire the 3 way like this
    "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

Originally posted by 888guitars View Post
      Hi, looking for a diagram with proper 3 way switch to wire a humbucker to use either coil independently and also get the humbucker in series. Anyone know how?
      I don't know why you want to do that, but...
      Get a SPDT ON-OFF-ON switch.
      Connect the switch's COMMON terminal to the pickup's "center" (coil common) wire(s).
      Connect one of the remaining switch terminals to one of the remaining pickup wires (sig+ or sig-/gnd).
      Connect the last remaining switch terminal to the last remaining pickup wire.

Good luck,
      -rb
      DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

Originally posted by copperheadroads View Post
        How many controls should be mentioned but Wiring Diagram shouldn't you be able to wire the 3 way like this
        Yup- the OP didn't mention color code, or whether the pickup is 2-wire, 3-wire, or 4-wire.

The diagram you reference is for serial/parallel wiring; the OP wants to shunt one coil or the other.

Also note, there is a slightly easier way to accomplish the same thing as the Seymour Duncan diagram shows:
        Instead of the diagonal jumper shown, install a jumper across the "top" 2 terminals.
        That way, you don't have to solder more than 1 wire on any terminal.

-rb
        DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

Originally posted by rjb View Post
          I don't know why you want to do that, but...
          Get a SPDT ON-OFF-ON switch.
          Connect the switch's COMMON terminal to the pickup's "center" (coil common) wire(s).
          Connect one of the remaining switch terminals to one of the remaining pickup wires (sig+ or sig-/gnd).
          Connect the last remaining switch terminal to the last remaining pickup wire.

Good luck,
          -rb
          This is the way to do it.

For some fun, use a cap between the series connection and the switch. Try something like .02µF to .047µF.
          It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
          www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

If the each of the user's humbucker coils are wound to different specs, theoretically, wouldn't each of the three positions produce different sounds?
            I put Individual Coil Select switches in my guitars, but then again, I am not using stock pickups (or stock guitars for that matter).
            I wind each of my coils in a humbucker to different specs, so that theoretically, they should produce different sounds.
            Here's a couple of pics I've found on line that helped me.

Click image for larger version

Name:	__single switch combos.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	289.1 KB
ID:	825219

Name:	___mini toggle humbucker_multisounds.jpg
Size:	406.1 KB
ID:	825220
            Individual coil selection is do-able with either on/off/on or on/on/on switches. The switches are wired differently, but still produce the required effect.

I put an Individual Coil Select switch on each Humbucker and a phase switch on the bridge pick up, resulting in 24 different coil selection combinations.
            Here's a drawing of the wiring:

Name:	_2 Humbucker Individual Coil Selection w Phase Switch 6 24 Individual Coil Combinations 2.jpg
Size:	332.7 KB
ID:	825221
            Currently, the difference in the coils is minimal, but in the future, I intend to make there more variation in the coils to, hopefully, produce more distinct sounds.

Ciao,

Garth
            www.BizzarGuitars.ca

Comment

Whoops!
              Wrong wiring diagram.
              should be this one:

Name:	___2 Humbucker Individual Coil Selection w Phase Switch 7 24 Individual Coil Combinations 2.jpg
Size:	354.3 KB
ID:	825222

Ciao,

Garth
              www.BizzarGuitars.ca

Comment

The diagram you reference is for serial/parallel wiring; the OP wants to shunt one coil or the other.
                However, I suggest you try the serial/parallel wiring- you might like it!
                -rb
                Last edited by rjb; 06-18-2012, 07:07 PM.
                DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

Clarification

Also note, there is a slightly easier way to accomplish the same thing as the Seymour Duncan diagram shows:
                  Instead of the diagonal jumper shown, install a jumper across the "top" 2 terminals.
                  The SD diagram shows a push-pull pot with integrated 2-position DPDT switch.

If you wire a 2-position DPDT switch per the SD diagram, or per my suggested mod, you get a choice of coils in series or coils in parallel.

If you wire a 3-position DPDT ON-ON-ON switch per the SD diagram, you get series, coil split, and parallel wiring.

You may find the series/split/parallel combination gives you a wider variation of timbres than your original plan.
                  Versus coil split, the parallel configuration has the advantage of being humbucking.

-rb
                  Last edited by rjb; 06-18-2012, 07:09 PM.
                  DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

However, I suggest you try the serial/parallel wiring- you might like it!
                    -rb
                    I second that suggestion. And you don't lose the hum cancelation. Parallel sounds very similar to single coil in many cases.
                    It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
                    www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Ok so with the SD diagram. when it says humbucker in the middle position they are saying both coils are truly in series?

Comment

Originally posted by 888guitars View Post
                        Ok so with the SD diagram. when it says humbucker in the middle position they are saying both coils are truly in series?
                        Oops, maybe something got lost in translation....

I know there are many SD diagrams; I was referring to the one copperheadroads provided.
                        That diagram shows a push-pull pot, with a 2-position DPDT switch; the positions are "up" and "down" - there is no middle position.
                        You have 2 columns of 3 terminals, but only 2 switch positions.
                        In one position, you get the coils in series; in the other, you get the coils in parallel.

But if you were to use a 3-position ON-ON-ON DPDT switch, and wired it exactly the same way, you would get coil split/shunt/whatever you want to call it in the middle position.

The standard configuration for humbuckers is with the coils in series.

I hope I answered your question.
                        -rb
                        DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

Yes thank you. I just have not found a tone I like with both coils in parallel.

Comment

Working...
                          X