Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Output on little transistor organ, loud hum

Hi there,

This is my first post here so I hope this is the right place to ask.

I bought an inexpensive analog transistor based organ. It's a Gracia (Armon) Charlie 37. It was in bad shape; noisy pots, lots of dust, paint + sharpie markings + stickers on the keys. I totally cleaned it up and it looks like this now:

100_1271_zpse8e8bffc.jpg Photo by AJDbass | Photobucket

It has a build in speaker. I wanted an line out to amplify the organ so I could use it for rehearsels with the band. There was a jack input for a pedal wich was missing, so I pulled out this jack and replaced it for a line out-jack. I found the pcb which contains the power supply and the power amp. I bypassed the white wire which goes to the input of the power amp. The white wire now goes from the output jack to the power amp. If a cable is inserted the signal to the input of the amp is broken.

100_1277_zpsf708911c.jpg Photo by AJDbass | Photobucket

The level of the line out is perfect for a guitar amp and I can control it with te volume control on the organ. The problem is that when there's a cable in the output and there is no signal to the poweramp of the organ, the internal speaker gives a loud hum.

I don't really know how to eliminate this hum. I don't have a schematic. I was hoping someone could give me some tips... I am kind of stuck. Thanks.

You need to replace your jack with a type that has another switch contact which will ground the input of the power amp when you use the line out.
    Originally posted by Enzo
    I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Something like this: Fender Jack Switchcraft 13A Transfer 0041701000

Comment

Originally posted by Jazz P Bass View Post
        I don't think that that one would work.

I looked up the Switchcraft numbers. A #54A might do it.

Or use a 3 conductor jack with closed circuit contacts. Wire the tip to the signal output, the tip NC contact to the power amp input and also to the ring contact. When a mono plug is inserted the ring contact (power amp in) will be grounded through the sleeve of the mono plug.
        Last edited by 52 Bill; 07-12-2013, 08:13 PM.

Comment

Thanks everyone! Grounding the input did the trick, works perfectly! No hum and noise from the internal speaker and no hum on the line out.

I connected the input from the amp with the 'ring' contact from the stereo jack I already used, like 52 bill suggested.

Can't wait to use it on the next rehearsel!

Comment

Working...
          X